RAIN RULES HERE
It started raining from Friday night almost incessantly. It intensified since Sunday morning riding on a land depression and is yet to cease. For the first couple of days it was pleasant, but who knew that it could bring another disaster in Bangladesh. It has submerged most parts of Dhaka under knee to waist-deep water, stranded hundreds of vehicles and thousands of commuters on roads, cut power and telephone links and kept day-workers from earning a living since Monday. Many found it extremely difficult to come to work place or return to home because of lack of transport. It seems the cities cannot hold or let out this amount of water. I am hearing that the Govt. has declared a public holiday today, the 2nd day of water-clogged Bangladesh. The educational institutions were already declared closed yesterday night. The inland communications are at standstil, international flights are being delayed.
Many are saying its the faulty and clogged sewerage systems, some are saying its a warning from the god. Its 309 mm of rains in 24 hours if you want to get an idea of the situation we are facing. The rivers have swelled and it is also said that water is not driven down to the sea because of the rising sea level (another moon effect). My work phone lines are dead. Nearby Dhanmondi Lake is full to the brim of the road and a couple of large trees has been uprooted by the winds and moist root soil. Weathermen said the situation would improve this evening after the low dies out but the rain is still pouring. (More news about the rain)
It has been pretty depressing but I guess we have to do some positive thinking and listen to the rain.
RAIN RULES HERE
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * A baby is God's opinion...
- ITS A GIRL Welcome RIANNA, weight 8 lbs, born on...
- FIREFOX GETS EVEN BETTER I am using firefox 0.9...
- MADRASSA EDUCATION - AN ANACHRONISM OR A VICTIM OF...
- CLEANSE YOUR HEART WITH WATERS Roger Waters, th...
- HOW FRAGILE WE ARE The Sun finally shined yeste...
- LINKS OF THE DAY * Nitin writes about Islam & D...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * There is a country where...
- EMPLOYING THE BEGGARS Grameen Bank, the award w...
- SLEEP AS A COMMODITY Anyone interested to catch a...
- RAIN RULES HERE It started raining from Friday ...
- I GOT PLUGGED Tanim of "Busy minds in a lazy sh...
- LINKS OF THE DAY * BURMA -Grace under pressure:...
- ISLAM AND TERRORISM If you ever wonder why Musl...
- MORE CRICKET MADNESS There is always a contest ...
- LIFE'S TRIVIA I have been pretty busy lately an...
- VIOLENCE, TERROR, OPPORTUNISTS AND WAYOUT Bangl...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * The terrible thing about...
- * CINEMA GOERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO LIVE IN THE SOCIET...
- WORLD BANKS' LEGAL IMMUNITY The global movement...
- VICTIMS OF ASSYMETRICAL WARFARE I was shock...
- PHOTOBLOG -VISUAL THOUGHTS A photoblog is a typ...
- ▼ September (22)