* "Banker to the Poor" Gets Top Honor: Der Spiegel:
Muhammed Yunus of Bangladesh and the Grameen Bank he founded were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their innovative work in the area of microcredits -- small loans that have helped to lift millions out of the most abject poverty.* Credit where it's due: Geoff Mulgan in Guardian unlimited.
What makes him special is that he is such a perfect example of how social innovation happens - and how the best social change often comes from people addressing problems themselves rather than waiting for others to do so.* Changing scope of Nobel peace prize: Lars Bevanger in BBC:
The choice represents a furthering of the Norwegian Nobel Committee's expressed desire to expand the scope of the prize beyond acknowledging those directly involved in preventing armed conflict.* Microcredit Helps Woman Change Her Life: Michelle Foul of associated press:
With just US$1,000, Ana Helena Domingos is transforming her life. She used the loan to buy goods in bulk and graduate from small-time peddler to wholesaler, doubling her income in 10 months and spending the proceeds to get her daughter into a better school and start building a house. The source of what she calls "my salvation?" A microcredit bank modeled on the one that won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday.Blog reactions:
* The Daily KOS & Brudaimonia: A Long Time Coming: Muhammad Yunus and the Nobel Prize
* Retributions: Indian National Interest: Congratulations Dr. Yunus!
* Tom Peters: Glory Hallelujah!!
* The truth will set you free: Eat your heart out, Falwell - ‘Muhammad’ wins Nobel - AGAIN
* Berkeley Bubble: How to Really Win the War on Terror
* Nerve Endings Firing Away: Nobel for Muhammad Yunus
* Diary of a radical moderate: Good on Them: Nobel Committee Recognizes Role of Poverty in Violence
* NPR: Microcredit Pioneers Win Nobel Peace Prize
* The Walrus said: Muhammad Yunus and practical feminism
* Outside the Beltway: Bangladeshi Financial Pioneer Wins Nobel Peace Prize
* Center for global development: Yunus and Grameen win Nobel: The "Great Man" Theory of Development History?
* Slate: The Banker takes all
* Genevieve's Tales of Pillage, Plunder, Piracy, and Other Fun Stuff: Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank Win Nobel Peace Prize
* The Discomfort Zone: Microfinance wins the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize.
* Andy Carvin's Waste of Bandwith: Yunus and the Grameen Bank Win the Nobel Peace Prize