Around 6,000 law enforcers will be deployed in the city including the diplomatic zone and the posh areas of Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara, Dhanmondi, Uttara and on the Dhaka University Campus.A Bangladeshi Blogger responds:
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) authorities made a number of city roads off limits to traffic for 10 hours from 8:00pm on New Year's Eve.
Why do I suddenly feel like I live in a military state? Maybe its got something to do with the six thousand policemen stationed around the capitol to maintain safety as New Years celebrations go ahead. It’s sad that the first few hours of a fresh year have to be a nerve racking time for the people ensuring our safety. The government seems to frown on parties tonight. Lol. With reason, I’m sure. Still, there’s no stopping the young - and there shouldn’t be.The truth is that if your only tool is hammer all your problem looks like nails. Lack of common sense are the roots of these problems.
* People who complain about New Year celebrations are just jealous no one invites them. They would go if someone did.
* The rioters are not really people who are celebrating. They’re criminals using the event as an excuse to burn cars or rape (harass)women. Problems like these are not caused by our decision to make something of this night but because of the 364 other days of the year when crime goes unpunished.
* If you’re looking for a party, you’ll find it ;)
* A lot of losers are out on the streets tonight.
* As a nation with people of different religions, backgrounds, etc some have a right to party tonight.
* You can party and get high without drugs, drinks or a smoke.
* Some people who are well within the law get harassed tonight.
* People need to chill.