October 24, 2010

Walkman (1979-2010): The End Of An Era


I remember, it was in 1985 when I first used one of these and it soon changed the way I listened to music. The mp3 players (and now my smartphone) have only emerged in the past decade. I had fun with it and interesting is that it is probably lying somewhere among the junks a boy produces to reminisce after decades.

Its sad to hear that Walkman will no longer be produced by Sony after selling 200 million of these cassette tape models. However, the company will still be manufacturing manufacturing CD and memory module based Walkmans.

The device was built in 1978 by audio-division engineer Nobutoshi Kihara for Sony co-chairman Akio Morita, who wanted to be able to listen to operas during his frequent trans-Pacific plane trips. (Metafilter)

Thank you Walkman, you were a trend setter.

Image courtesy: Crunchgear

0 comments:

Post a Comment