Social Media Week (SMW) is a global platform that connects people, content, and conversation around emerging trends in social and mobile media. During February 7-11 the conference took place in London, Paris, New York, San Francisco, Toronto, São Paolo and will also expand to Paris, Rome and Hong Kong.
Here is a presentation of Tom Smith, founder and project leader of Trendstream, a consultancy dedicated to understanding trends in technology adoption, showing the Global State of Social Media in 2011:
The important findings of this report are:
* Social Media has reached maturity - 70% of UK population are involved in Social Media
* Micro-blogging still leads the top (35%), managed social networking follows (29%), blog story (7%)
* Conversations are moving from discussion boards/forums to Twitter.
* Blogs lead in Asia - China, South Korea, India
* Facebook dominates in Social Networking
* Young people (16-24) leads in usage
* Mobile/Mobile Apps On A Parity With Desktop
* Social Networking is driving different source of trust