The long way to Colombo
Day 5: April 16, 2004
The time has come to say goodbye to Nuwara Eliya. We started our journey down under towards Colombo. On the way we drove around the artificial Lake at Nuwara Eliya and the Golf Course, which is the finest 18 hole course in Asia. We had a view of the Sri Lanka�s highest mountain range (Pidurutalagala). 33 kms from Nuwara Eliya we stopped by St. Clairs & Devon water falls.
There were photo sessions. We bought a lot of finest quality (high grown) tea from a tea boutique at Devon Falls. At noon we approached Kitulgala to see the hanging bridge used in the filming of �The bridge at river Kwai�. We took a walk along the bridge (max 3 persons allowed as it sways a lot) and had pictures.
Nearby that place is the plantation restaurant, where we had lunch. Actually its on the banks of the river with a view of the bridge. The food was very spicy (Sri Lankan speciality).
We were on the road again towards Colombo and reached at around 3:30. There were site seeings and shopping stops for us as per program. On the way we saw a hindu and a Buddhist temple, The Bandarnaike memorial international conference hall, the new parliament house, the lake view. The cheapest and largest mall �The house of fashions� was closed. We were ushered into the costlier and chic malls like Arena, Odel and �the majestic city�. Everybody had something to buy. But we had to rush into the bus, as there were short stipulated times for the stops. Evening came quickly for us. At 7:30 we had dinner at Raja Bojuna, an Indian restaurant. The food was very spicy. We resorted to desserts to fill our stomach.
At 8:30 we went towards the Airport. We had some unfinished business and our farewells. But we were surprised to see that the Indian team had to check in through a different gate than me & Pawan. I finally got the chance to call home. There was much time before the flight, but there were lengthy proceedings which killed most of the time. At 1:35 AM we are on the air towards Bangkok.
The long way to Colombo
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * Nationality is respectab...
- BLOG NOTES * Shihab has some new posts after a ...
- Mass arrests to tackle the opposition movement ...
- Controversy over Muslim call to prayer in Hamtramc...
- BLOG NOTES * A HISTORY OF CONFLICT - Timeline o...
- Current political crisis in Bangladesh and its fut...
- Home Sweet Home I have come back home safely. I...
- One day in Bangkok Day 6 : April 17, 2004 Ar...
- The long way to Colombo Day 5: April 16, 2004 ...
- Nuwara Eliya Day 4: April 15, 2004 7:15 PM ...
- Kandy to Nuwara Eliya Day 3: April 14, 2004 ...
- On the way to Kandy Day 2: April 13, 2004 7:...
- IN SRI LANKA Day 1: The morning was simply ...
- BANGKOK TO SRI LANKA 11 April, 2004 9:10 Ban...
- ON THE JOURNEY I am writing from Bangkok Airpor...
- Off to Sri Lanka I am traveling to Sri Lanka to...
- Blogging in Bangla! B¢j h¡Pm¡ Lb¡ h¢m Meet Deb...
- April 2004 - turbulent time in Bangladesh TIME ...
- Kal Baishakhi After almost three months of dry ...
- The university 'market' in UK Yes it is a marke...
- HOW AN AWARENESS CAMPAIGN SAVES MILLIONS OF DOLLAR...
- ▼ April (21)