* Death by bureaucracy: Daniel Brett slates Indian red tapism, which delayed a rescue and aid effort by Medecins Sans Frontieres in Andaman & Nicobar Islands, which have strict regulation on travel of foreigners.
* Myanmar shrouds its tsunami deaths in secrecy: Nitin predicts that the military junta is not taking any chances to expose its human rights abuses to the foreign aid workers, which might intervene is the true scale of tragedy would come out.
* Bangladesh postpones regional SAARC summit: because of massive destruction in three member countries (India, Sri Lanka & Maldives) caused by sunday's tsunami.
* Astounding satellite views (before & after the tragedy): The scale of devastation is lot more worse than you imagined.
* What the world pledges as on December 31, 2004 and where the money is needed: via Jeff Ooi. Bangladesh has sent two medical and rescue teams and helicopters to Sri Lanka and the Maldives. The Bangladesh Cricket Board has donated $10,000 for the Sri Lanka victims in response to the Sri Lankan boards effort to collect donations.
* Tsunami survivors turn to internet to find for lost loved ones: via Rajan.
* The death toll is becoming staggering as the time progresses: Deaths - Confirmed 153,669, Estimated 4,70,000 + out of which 4,00,000 + in Indonesia alone (via Wikipedia). In Bangladesh, about 40 fishing boats are still missing. Hope that there won't be more deaths.
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- BRAVO BANGLADESH! Bangladesh secures an emphati...
- BANGLADESH'S IMAGE PROBLEM Elisa Griswold's art...
- ARGES STRIKES AGAIN Bangladeshis were astounded...
- DON'T SEND US TO BANGLADESH Small children from...
- NGOs ON TOP Have you ever wondered what is the ...
- POST EID BLUES The Eid holidays were great. Thi...
- EID-UL-ADHA GREETINGS
- ALL ABOUT PAAN Paan is a widely used chewable ma...
- STRAY CAT I am rarely getting free time at home...
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * A conversation with Mi...
- BANGLADESH SECURES ITS FIRST TEST WIN Men talk ...
- CANDLELIGHT COMMEMORATION FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS IN B...
- WHO LET THE BLOG OUT? It was a question asked b...
- PROFITING FROM THE TSUNAMI DONATIONS Some distu...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Obviously when you have othe...
- OUTSOURCE FROM BANGLADESH The Bangladesh IT sec...
- TEN TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY 1) Most everyone...
- STINGY OR NOT - GESTURES OF GOODWILL IN QUESTION ...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Our generation wants to be r...
- THE GREATEST TROPICAL SYSTEM DISASTER Many do no...
- TSUNAMI UPDATE * Death by bureaucracy: Daniel B...
- ▼ January (22)
- ► 2004 (329)