PASSIONS OF INDIA
> Cricket and Cinema <
You have read or heard of the above passions. But I have felt it in my brief stay in Mumbai. Parimal, the caretaker has all the information:- which celebrities live in the vicinity. And he tells about an interesting phenomenon of their fans. People flock to see the celebrities outside their houses from 3-5 at the afternoon prompting them to come out of their palaces (sic.) at least once to wave towards them. The bus stands are filled with the posters of Jassi and creating suspense in her unfolding to a new appearance (a popular soap opera happenings). Radio Mirchi (popular FM) has funny rhymes in the posters. Media plays a big role in Indian lifestyle.
During the recent India-Pakistan Test match, I have seen that even the street destitudes have shabby radios at their ears and when asked they feel proud to update the score. Many offices have silent TV screens running the match live. No wonder breaks are frequent which helps keeping the score up-to-date.
I hope the fundamentalists around the world should develop some passions other than blowing up themselves to establish their causes. Life is how you live it. And an idle brain is root of all evil.
PASSIONS OF INDIA
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- INDONESIA QUAKE TRIGGERS TSUNAMI SCARE An 8.7 ear...
- IN PURSUIT OF GROSS NATIONAL HAPPINESS Bhutan is ...
- WHY THE BRITISH GAVE THE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT THE W...
- NEWS(?) SNIPPETS * Hakkani Ulema first proclaimer...
- GOVT. PROPAGANDA SPARKS CONTROVERSY The anti-Awam...
- LINK-O-MATIC * No American visa if you blog - via...
- NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION BLUES America may have misl...
- GENDER INEQUALITY ACROSS THE GLOBE In the mostly ...
- BLOG NEWS UPDATE Elise Bauer gives an insight int...
- NEW BANGLADESHI BLOG SHOWCASE If you are a fan of...
- THE FEAR FACTOR There have been much controversy ...
- THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER Saudi Prince Waleed Bin...
- QUOTES AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * "To be a wonderf...
- CROSSFIRE FEATURED IN RANTBURG Rantburg has a ...
- PASSIONS OF INDIA > Cricket and Cinema < You hav...
- BANGLADESH DESTROYS LANDMINE Bangladesh Army says...
- MORE BLOGGING AT THE AIRPORT Sometimes you can fe...
- MUMBAI: A CITY OF ADVERSITIES I think when the in...
- NETCARDS FROM MUMBAI Mumbai City from the apart...
- MUMBAI: DAY TWO The previous night went well. Whe...
- NEAR A BEACH IN MUMBAI Yes, I have safely arrived...
- AT KOLKATA AIRPORT Arrived safely at the NSCBI Ai...
- OFF TO MUMBAI March 8, 2005 9: 00 AM Here I am s...
- RIANNA'S DAYS Aaaa..vruuu..Oow..Aaa...(Hello ev...
- ▼ March (24)
- ► 2004 (329)