DARING TO BE DIFFERENT
Jivha has a fear, fear of being a normal person, a nondescript person who was born, lived and then died unnoticed. He fears insignificance, conformance. He fears normalcy and safety.
Then again he fears chance. Because the odds of him being "different" are quite remote. Read his thought provoking post.
I had this thought long ago. At a point of time when I was so involved with a cultural group and I had just started my job. I saw a vision that through cultural activities and propagating the voices of development I could help changing the society, uphold our values. I thought that I would need only a low-paid job to sustain myself and have plenty of time for my other activities. I wanted to prepare myself to be a star. I was so ready for daring to do something different, like perhaps marrying a hindu girl against all obstacles and completely devoting myself to my vision. But the reality is harsh. I somehow figured it out that I would be alone in striving for my visions. Because I found out that my idols are hypocrite. I feared being a lonely person who is defying all the obstacles to achieve his mission, which is not seen as a great effort by others. In this society, if you are not an established person, nobody treats you right. Your parents would be banging in your years that you are going ashtray. Even you can't get a good bride. So I couldn't cross the line. I pursued my career, studied MBA and have a so called normal life. I am still associated with some other activities, but get very little time for that.
I see this not as my weakness. I did not cross the line also when my friends tried to seduce me to drugs or even going to a prostitute. I just couldn't but I did not run away from them. I managed to let them understand that I was keeping my principle and could get along with them. I am not unpopular either. Its just the fact that I know what is right and what is wrong. And I did not make any decision in my life which would harm me or another person.
I sit down and think sometimes how my life would shape up otherwise. However, I believe that in a war everybody should not carry a gun and fight. There are other ways to establish your principals, your beliefs, and your contribution. Perhaps I could one day contribute something to the society with this blog. And daring to do something different can also ruin a person. Your work will make you different not the intentions to be different.
Poorly lived and poorly died
poorly buried and no one cried
Why can't we be normal and yet be different?
DARING TO BE DIFFERENT
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- Sheikh Yassin vs. Rachel Corrie Shahed Amanulla...
- Outsourcing, unemployment, taxes etc. There are l...
- Bumper food grain output This year the governme...
- Rabindranath Tagore's Nobel Prize Stolen This i...
- Matir Moina I watched the much acclaimed film M...
- The Black Night Of March 25th 1971 This is a ni...
- ALICE IN LABORATORY I had a long chat with ALIC...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY Man is made to adore and t...
- Remittance black market Bangladesh is among the...
- Bangladeshi street vendors in NY City complain of ...
- A little relief from debt burden Japan recently...
- Blog Survey: Expectations of Privacy and Account...
- BLOG NOTES * Another Indian Blogmela is up at Sha...
- DARING TO BE DIFFERENT Jivha has a fear, fear o...
- E-MAIL IN BANGLA Rifat from Chittagong starts a...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY It is a miserable state of...
- PEOPLES' VOICES Spaniards took the street of Madr...
- A JOURNEY BY TRAIN I made a short trip to Chitt...
- WHO LET THE CAT OUT? A stray cat sneaked aboard...
- CRICKET: A LONG AWAITED VICTORY After 5 years a...
- MORE BANGLADESHI BLOGGERS Meet Bangladeshi girl...
- BLOG NOTES 1) Laura has this wonderful post abo...
- The rise of the freepers The freepers are also...
- Depression blues I am pretty much depressed the...
- Who we are? An honest self exploration.
- Anti-Semiticism revisited This is an interesti...
- CROWN ENERGY, WHERE HAVE YOU GONE AWAY? The above...
- REPRESSION UPDATE This is not good at all.
- QUOTES OF THE DAY Words like ''freedom,'' ''...
- CRICKET: BANGLADESH BEAT AUSTRALIA Bangladesh h...
- Shiite attacks I got pretty depressed day befor...
- THE REPRESSION OF HUMAN RIGHTS Prominent edito...
- ▼ March (32)