VICTORY DAY: 16th of December
On this day in 1971 out of the crucible of blood and sacrifice, Bangladesh was born. This day is celebrated with glory and joy supplementary to the Independence Day, which is the 26th March. Actually Independence Day marks the declaration of our Independence and start of a bloody and glorious War of Liberation against the occupied forces of Pakistan. The govt. of Independent Bangladesh was formed in April 1971. On Victory Day, nine month later the Pakistani forces surrendered to the allied forces of Bangladesh and India. The people of Bangladesh chose to be their own masters rather then the remaining slaves, and achieved liberty. Bangladesh emerged as a sovereign independent country, like it never was before in the more than 3000 years of recorded history of the Bengali speaking people truly, completely independent at last. They were inspired by nationalism and patriotic spirit, which can be represented by one question of a Bengali poet "Who wants to live without freedom?"
We must recall the heroic deeds of the founder, father of the nation Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (Bangabandhu), Ziaur Rahman, the freedom fighters, the freedom loving general people of the country (of all race and religion), Ms. Indira Gandhi, and the people of our neighbor India for their support. Our prayers are for those numerous lives lost in this war and their families who endured the pogrom like genocide (almost 3 million casualties including 3000 Indian Soldiers), devastation and rape by the Pakistani Army and their collaborators.
I would like to recall the contribution of people all over the world who lend a hand in help of the numerous refugees who were living in appalling conditions in the camps in India.
The values of the liberation war were secularism, democracy, liberal outlook and modernism and no religious bias. But after the independence government of every hues have been in power and failed to uphold the values of the liberation war. They also reinstated the anti-liberation parties like Jamaat-e-Islami and others who were indicted as collaborators of Pakistan forces. The biggest mistake of the peace-loving nation was to forgive those traitors, who now threaten to put a knife on our back. This is why we always go back to 1971 to remember our heroic deeds so that we can fight for keeping ourselves in the path laid by the values.
Liberation War Museum is a great initiative to archive the war of independence.
VICTORY DAY: 16th of December
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- NEW TSUNAMI THREAT? Suman Kumar reports that th...
- THE DEATH TOLL IS TOO MUCH TO BEAR How many...
- WHAT MIGHT HAVE SAVED BANGLADESH? Many are ...
- O SWEET VICTORY , COME TO US AGAIN AND AGAIN Ba...
- ANOTHER CLOSE CALL FOR BANGLADESH Before the news...
- RIANNA UPDATE III Hello Hello. Merry Christ...
- SUNDAY'S LINKFEST * Eating out Blogging and Jou...
- THE DYNASTY CONTINUES Yesterday Dhaka saw the ris...
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * Oppression in a new fo...
- LOGICAL INTERPRETATIONS REQUIRED After 9/11 Isl...
- DIVIDED OPINIONS: PRO or ANTI Is Bangladesh div...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2004: VOTING HAS BEGAN If you ...
- LOOKING BACK The four articles posted below wer...
- VICTORY DAY: 16th of December On this day in 19...
- The Concert for Bangladesh The US government was ...
- The history of Independence of Bangladesh I am ...
- MARTYRED INTELLECTUALS DAY: DECEMBER 14TH Today...
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * World Bank on Dhaka mo...
- IRAQI BLOGGERS' TOUR OF USA Iraqi Blogger broth...
- TWO LITTLE MASTERS India's batting god Sach...
- NO CONFIDENCE Hundreds of thousands of people for...
- PICTURES OF RESISTANCE Drik, a photography ...
- AT LAST WE HAVE A MATCH UNDER TIGHT SECURITY The ...
- LIVING IN BANGLADESH While passing our remark a...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2004 Looks like the blog fever...
- INVENTION OF MINESWEEPER I am not talking about...
- INT'L EDUCATION FARE - SUPPORTING EXPORT OF MANPOW...
- VOTE FOR THE BEST WEBLOGS Voting for the 20...
- ▼ December (28)