ON UNDERSTANDING OTHER CULTURES
The world is full of diverse societies and cultures. With the free flow of information in the internet learning about other cultures has become very easy if one wills. And I think the learning is required for every inquisitive mind at their own pace so that one is never dumbfounded by a silly question and others' witty remarks.
If you read some questions about Sri Lanka from potential visitors posted on a Sri Lankan Tourism Website and the actual responses by the witty website officials, you will understand what I am taking about. (Via CSF)
Q: Can I bring cutlery into Sri Lanka? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.
Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Sri Lanka who can dispense Rattle snake serum.( USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Sri Lankan snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.
Q: Do you have perfume in Sri Lanka? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.
Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Sri Lanka? (Italy)
A: Only at Christmas.
Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (Germany)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.
Don't blame it all on the West. The other regions have weird ideas about the West too.
ON UNDERSTANDING OTHER CULTURES
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "The American Dream has run ou...
- NIXON AND THE TWO FACE OF AMERICA Some 40,000 Ame...
- TODAY'S LINKS * A letter to the Indian people by ...
- A TYPICAL BANGLADESH BASHING Out of an assorted i...
- SEEKER OF THE TRUTH Sadiq M. Alam is a Bangladesh...
- WHICH STATISTIC ARE YOU? "There are two kinds of...
- WHY BANGLADESH IS STRUGGLING TO LURE TOURISTS Imt...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Quiz: Programming Language Invent...
- INDO-BANGLA MEET ENDS WITH ISSUES REMAINING UNRESO...
- THE FUTURE OF BANGLADESH POLITICS Futurebangla Ne...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Cookies or no cookies (in your ha...
- BE POSITIVE Sameen has a brilliant post blasting ...
- MAJORITY OF AMERICANS OPPOSE WAR WITH IRAQ Acco...
- THE SUBMARINE CABLE SAGA Integrity International,...
- A MINISTER, A GIFTED CAR AND AN OIL COMPANY The...
- BIDISHA, BANGLADESH'S MUKHTARAN MAI Mukhtaran Mai...
- 'BANGLADESH WIN' IN THE MEDIA I am collating here...
- THANK YOU AUSTRALIA I am writing this shortly aft...
- SOME LINKS * Who can stop the rise of China? * S...
- THE RAINY SEASON COMES WITH ITS TRUE COLORS বাদ...
- THE GRAPE OF FOREIGN EDUCATION TURNING SORE ON BAN...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The breast-bottle - a new sensati...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "Government lasts as long as t...
- BANGLADESH NATIONAL BUDGET 2005-2006 This site pr...
- THE PLIGHT OF THE STATELESS PEOPLE - CAUGHT IN THE...
- A NEW PRODUCTIVE BLEND Last year I wrote about th...
- THE GOLDEN FIBER OF BENGAL Jute, nicknamed "G...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Persecution of Bangladesh is just...
- WHAT'S HOT OR NOT * Return Darjeeling to Banglade...
- BOOK TAG Oh no! The book tag meme has hit me too!...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "To read the papers and to lis...
- THE HILSHA BAN The Bengalis know how important H...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "Eloquence, at its highest pit...
- GLOBAL UNITY BETWEEN ISLAMIC AND THE LEFT FORCES ...
- ON UNDERSTANDING OTHER CULTURES The world is full...
- ▼ June (35)
- ► 2004 (329)