THIS POOR VS. THAT POOR
Excerpts from a letter to the editor of The Toronto Star (registration required):
I recently returned from Bombay, India where I survived the worst floods to hit that city in 100 years. While not on the catastrophic scale of Katrina, the floods that hit Bombay on July 26 sent the city reeling under five metres of water in some places. Thousands died.
Yet, in the midst of this chaos this fragile city hung together by a slender thread that is the city's indomitable spirit and heart. People dwelling in shanties and apartments came out in droves to feed the helpless stranded in their cars and buses for more than 16 hours. Passengers marooned in trains on the outskirts of the city were greeted by poor villagers bearing food and water — even though these villagers can barely scrape together one square meal a day!
Despite an utter breakdown of communication, law and order held. Not one women or child was attacked or harmed. Compare this with the mayhem, looting and rape in New Orleans. As a North American, I hang my head in shame.
- Meyer Moses, Thornhill
THIS POOR VS. THAT POOR
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- TUESDAY'S PICKS * Jamati and Moududi thoughts: an...
- TODAY'S PICKS * An autumn summer reading list for...
- RIANNA'S PARTY Hello everyone, its long since I l...
- CAN'T WE DO SOMETHING ABOUT HARTALS? I think many...
- EARTHQUAKE AND TIDAL SURGES IN BANGLADESH There w...
- CONSPIRACY THEORY Since the August 17 bombings w...
- TODAY'S PICKS * A sarcastic look at a lawsuit aga...
- THE EXPLOITATON "When I see a handcuffed youth pu...
- SEE NO EVIL HEAR NO EVIL I have recently worte ab...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP This week's South Asian ...
- HEAD BURIED IN THE SAND While the home minister B...
- JAMES TO ROCK IN BOLLYWOOD "He is like the Hendrix...
- DUDE, YOU LOOK LIKE AL-QAEDA One NY firefighter g...
- UNDERSTANDING YOUR NEIGHBOR Jairam Ramesh, member...
- THIS COMPENSATION VS. THAT COMPENSATION Deshi gir...
- THIS POOR VS. THAT POOR Excerpts from a letter to...
- LUNACY AT ITS BEST This guy is totally messed up....
- WHITE BAND DAY II The global call to action again...
- IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH May there always be work f...
- HOW EXTREMISM CAME TO BANGLADESH David Montero of...
- TODAY'S PICKS ON BANGLADESH * Unicef praises Bang...
- THE SHAME OF THE CIVIL SOCIETY IS THE POWER "Soone...
- DJUICE- CHAINED SUBCULTURE "Culture is the name fo...
- BANGLADESHI BLOG SHOWCASE From Mac's blog (Bangla...
- BANGLADESH EXTENDS HER HELPING HAND Bangladesh is...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP My South Asian Blog Roun...
- KATRINA & BANGLADESH Rising water has killed hundr...
- ▼ September (27)
- ► 2004 (329)