Tasnuva writes about an ignorant Pakistani-Canadian who has weird ideas about Bangladesh & the liberation war which separated itself from Pakistan. I am putting this issue on board because in a number of occasions I have encountered Pakistanis who do not have a clear view on what really happened in 1971. This ignorance has grown to a mammoth proportion which creates sometimes a lot of confusion. Quoting the above person:
"You must hate it how India made Bangladesh separate from Pakistan. Bangladesh would have been prosperous like us if we 'brothers' stayed together".
Yeah, where were you brothers when your Armies were relishing rape & genocide of Bengalis in a bid to tame the Bengalis. Have they ever apologized for the 500,000 to 3 million death, and the plight of 6 million to 12 million who were made refugees? Did they ever think of compensating for the destruction of infrastructure of a country in the name of controlling the rebels? What did they do when then Pakistan President Yahya Khan said "Kill three million of them and the rest will eat out of our hands. (Robert Payne, Massacre , p. 50).
You will not get an answer. Instead you will hear things like:
* Pakistan Army was not responsible for the rapes.
* Pakistan Army unappreciated for 'gallantry' in 1971.
I think these people should wake up to the reality of the things - the sooner, the better. They should consider themselves lucky running free with all the crimes under their belt.
Tasnuva suggests the Pakistanis:
All they have to do is 'Google' the words - Bangladesh war, 1971 or even East Pakistan- and voila! You have facts. Not conspiracy theories of how India instigated the Bangalis to revolt or that 'only a few people died'.
She also has a final thought:
Considering world politics is not that dissimilar to school playground politics, I don't think its that childish to ask for the three current leaders to meet sometime and shake hands while
- Pakistan says 'Sorry' to Bangladesh
- Bangladesh says 'Thanks' to India
- and India says 'Peace, man' to Pakistan
......maybe then we'd stop hearing stupid comments from stupid people.
I think its high time Bangladesh sues the Pakistani Army in the UN war crimes commission and demand compensation from Pakistan for the destruction of lives and infrastructure so that these ignorant Pakistanis (should not generalize all) are forced to face the reality.
Tags: Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, War Crime
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- TODAY'S LINKS * The avatar versus the journalist:...
- THE BATTLE OF IDEOLOGIES Fareed Zakaria pinpoints...
- ON ROOTS OF TERRORISM In an article published in ...
- ON RELIGION AND TOLERANCE On BBC World's Hard Tal...
- TO FEAR OR NOT TO FEAR "Too many of us are not liv...
- MUMBAI FLOOD Dhaka experienced heavy rains (156mm...
- MORE TASLIMA This news has been gathered from Tas...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Arundhati Roy's opening spe...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP Here is today's round up...
- UNITE AGAINST TERROR The devils in many disguises...
- INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY The news is coming t...
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS OF BANGLADESH VIA FLICKR Green...
- MY VOICE ADDED TO GLOBAL VOICES I have been award...
- ISLAMOPHOBIA - MYTH OR REALITY Kenan Malik writes...
- DHAKA - ODE TO ALUMINIUM Rockstar, blogger & poet...
- NOT IN THE NAME OF ISLAM "..Whoever kills an inn...
- BLOGDATE....FROM THE ARCHIVES Do all virtual rela...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) has a ...
- STATE AND RELIGION Bahraini blogger Mahmood repor...
- A TEST OF INTELLECT Answering the question "how U...
- KABOOM! HERE IS YOUR BUDGET HARRY POTTER Anna of ...
- DESIGN UPDATE I have installed my own tagcloud pl...
- AN ARTICLE ABOUT BLOGS IN THE DAILY STAR The Dail...
- KOLKATA, SAFE HEAVEN FOR BANGLADESHI TERRORISTS ...
- CHAOS IN IRAQ It does not get worse than this. So...
- POWER OF THE HEARTS Atiqur Rahman, nicknamed Hrid...
- TAGGING ISLAM TO TERRORISMCharukesi writes about a...
- MAKING OF A SUICIDE BOMBER The truth is coming ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * We are 'not afraid' of what happe...
- WISDOM Sadiq is one notable Bangladeshi blogger w...
- MY FIRST POST IN ASIAPUNDIT Go check out my first...
- NOT WELCOME ANYTIME SOON In 2000, Bangladesh host...
- IGNORANT PAKISTANIS Tasnuva writes about an ignor...
- WHOSE PROBLEM IS IT? After the 7/7 incident the b...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Birth control for tigers. ...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Bangladesh launches i...
- WHERE HAVE SANITY GONE? This weekend was amongst ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Asian highway will link 32 nation...
- I AM FEATURED IN THE ASIA! MAGAZINE May Yip, a Si...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "Who, being loved, is poor?" ...
- THE LONG WALK TO JUSTICE Be a part of it. Sign th...
- LIVE 8 CONCERTS AROUND THE GLOBE If you ask what ...
- KISSINGER HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS Ennis of Sepia m...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The reigning African predators. ...
- ▼ July (44)
- ► 2004 (329)