ISLAMOPHOBIA - MYTH OR REALITY
Kenan Malik writes:
Ten years ago no one had heard of Islamophobia. Now everyone from Muslim leaders to anti-racist activists to government ministers want to convince us that Britain is in the grip of an irrational hatred of Islam - a hatred that, they claim, leads to institutionalised harassment, physical attacks, social discrimination and political alienation.
Now what is Islamophobia? Journalist Stephen Schwartz says notwithstanding the arguments of some Westerners, Islamophobia exists; it is not a myth. Islamophobia consists of:
• attacking the entire religion of Islam as a problem for the world;
• condemning all of Islam and its history as extremist;
• denying the active existence, in the contemporary world, of a moderate Muslim majority;
• insisting that Muslims accede to the demands of non-Muslims (based on ignorance and arrogance) for various theological changes, in their religion;
• treating all conflicts involving Muslims (including, for example, that in Bosnia-Hercegovina a decade ago), as the fault of Muslims themselves;
• inciting war against Islam as a whole.
This phobia is derived from lack of understanding of Islamic culture, consistent tagging of terrorism with Islam and Islamic practices instead of criticizing political Islam.
Stephen also argues that the Wahhabi lobby in US engages in its own forms of profiling, which mainly consist of branding every opponent of Islamist radicalism an "Islamophobe." In addition, the charge often includes labeling of such critics as Jews, Zionists, and Israeli agents.
There are contradictory websites like Jihad Watch & Islamophobia Watch which are fueling the controversy.
The UN recognized Islamophobia as a growing problem and arranged a seminar titled "Confronting Islamophobia: Education for Tolerance and Understanding" late last year.
According to the website 'No to Political Islam':
Many apologists for Political Islam claim that to criticize any aspect of Islamic practice is to be guilty of racism and Islamophobia. But much of the criticism is directed not against Islam itself but against Political Islam. And much of the criticism comes from Muslims. How then can this be racism? How then can it be Islamophobia?
It is essential to distinguish between criticism of Political Islam and either fear of Islam or fear, hatred or contempt for ordinary Muslims, who are themselves the victims of Political Islam.
So there are two faces of the menace 'Islamophobia'. One is the confused and ignorant hatred against ordinary Muslims which can trigger something like this and on the other hand the apologists of political Islam who do not want to hear any criticism for Islamic practices and term those criticisms as 'Islamophobic'.
The sooner we understand the crux of the matter, the better.
ISLAMOPHOBIA - MYTH OR REALITY
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- TODAY'S LINKS * The avatar versus the journalist:...
- THE BATTLE OF IDEOLOGIES Fareed Zakaria pinpoints...
- ON ROOTS OF TERRORISM In an article published in ...
- ON RELIGION AND TOLERANCE On BBC World's Hard Tal...
- TO FEAR OR NOT TO FEAR "Too many of us are not liv...
- MUMBAI FLOOD Dhaka experienced heavy rains (156mm...
- MORE TASLIMA This news has been gathered from Tas...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Arundhati Roy's opening spe...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP Here is today's round up...
- UNITE AGAINST TERROR The devils in many disguises...
- INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY The news is coming t...
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS OF BANGLADESH VIA FLICKR Green...
- MY VOICE ADDED TO GLOBAL VOICES I have been award...
- ISLAMOPHOBIA - MYTH OR REALITY Kenan Malik writes...
- DHAKA - ODE TO ALUMINIUM Rockstar, blogger & poet...
- NOT IN THE NAME OF ISLAM "..Whoever kills an inn...
- BLOGDATE....FROM THE ARCHIVES Do all virtual rela...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) has a ...
- STATE AND RELIGION Bahraini blogger Mahmood repor...
- A TEST OF INTELLECT Answering the question "how U...
- KABOOM! HERE IS YOUR BUDGET HARRY POTTER Anna of ...
- DESIGN UPDATE I have installed my own tagcloud pl...
- AN ARTICLE ABOUT BLOGS IN THE DAILY STAR The Dail...
- KOLKATA, SAFE HEAVEN FOR BANGLADESHI TERRORISTS ...
- CHAOS IN IRAQ It does not get worse than this. So...
- POWER OF THE HEARTS Atiqur Rahman, nicknamed Hrid...
- TAGGING ISLAM TO TERRORISMCharukesi writes about a...
- MAKING OF A SUICIDE BOMBER The truth is coming ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * We are 'not afraid' of what happe...
- WISDOM Sadiq is one notable Bangladeshi blogger w...
- MY FIRST POST IN ASIAPUNDIT Go check out my first...
- NOT WELCOME ANYTIME SOON In 2000, Bangladesh host...
- IGNORANT PAKISTANIS Tasnuva writes about an ignor...
- WHOSE PROBLEM IS IT? After the 7/7 incident the b...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Birth control for tigers. ...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Bangladesh launches i...
- WHERE HAVE SANITY GONE? This weekend was amongst ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Asian highway will link 32 nation...
- I AM FEATURED IN THE ASIA! MAGAZINE May Yip, a Si...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "Who, being loved, is poor?" ...
- THE LONG WALK TO JUSTICE Be a part of it. Sign th...
- LIVE 8 CONCERTS AROUND THE GLOBE If you ask what ...
- KISSINGER HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS Ennis of Sepia m...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The reigning African predators. ...
- ▼ July (44)
- ► 2004 (329)