POWER OF THE HEARTS
Atiqur Rahman, nicknamed Hridoy (heart) is a bright student of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). He has been suffering from acute lymphoblast leukemia (blood cancer). The doctors said that he has to be flown out to a foreign country for treatment which would require $80,000 (equivalent to 5 million Taka). It is unbearable for his family as the required amount is almost 25 times of their annual income. So his classmates started a campaign which has created much publicity and response among the Bangladeshis home and abroad. In less than a month a website dedicated for fund raising has attracted 15,000 visitors and about 2.8 million Taka (56% of the required amount) have been raised so far.
There is a weblog for Hridoy which logs the developments. There are also requests circulating via mails (I have received from a couple of different sources). Numerous articles have been printed in local newspapers.
I am sure the required fund would be accumulated soon. Hridoy's mates have done a commendable job in using the technology to propagate the plea. There are surely enough good hearts there to save a budding heart.
POWER OF THE HEARTS
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- TODAY'S LINKS * The avatar versus the journalist:...
- THE BATTLE OF IDEOLOGIES Fareed Zakaria pinpoints...
- ON ROOTS OF TERRORISM In an article published in ...
- ON RELIGION AND TOLERANCE On BBC World's Hard Tal...
- TO FEAR OR NOT TO FEAR "Too many of us are not liv...
- MUMBAI FLOOD Dhaka experienced heavy rains (156mm...
- MORE TASLIMA This news has been gathered from Tas...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Arundhati Roy's opening spe...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP Here is today's round up...
- UNITE AGAINST TERROR The devils in many disguises...
- INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY The news is coming t...
- EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS OF BANGLADESH VIA FLICKR Green...
- MY VOICE ADDED TO GLOBAL VOICES I have been award...
- ISLAMOPHOBIA - MYTH OR REALITY Kenan Malik writes...
- DHAKA - ODE TO ALUMINIUM Rockstar, blogger & poet...
- NOT IN THE NAME OF ISLAM "..Whoever kills an inn...
- BLOGDATE....FROM THE ARCHIVES Do all virtual rela...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) has a ...
- STATE AND RELIGION Bahraini blogger Mahmood repor...
- A TEST OF INTELLECT Answering the question "how U...
- KABOOM! HERE IS YOUR BUDGET HARRY POTTER Anna of ...
- DESIGN UPDATE I have installed my own tagcloud pl...
- AN ARTICLE ABOUT BLOGS IN THE DAILY STAR The Dail...
- KOLKATA, SAFE HEAVEN FOR BANGLADESHI TERRORISTS ...
- CHAOS IN IRAQ It does not get worse than this. So...
- POWER OF THE HEARTS Atiqur Rahman, nicknamed Hrid...
- TAGGING ISLAM TO TERRORISMCharukesi writes about a...
- MAKING OF A SUICIDE BOMBER The truth is coming ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * We are 'not afraid' of what happe...
- WISDOM Sadiq is one notable Bangladeshi blogger w...
- MY FIRST POST IN ASIAPUNDIT Go check out my first...
- NOT WELCOME ANYTIME SOON In 2000, Bangladesh host...
- IGNORANT PAKISTANIS Tasnuva writes about an ignor...
- WHOSE PROBLEM IS IT? After the 7/7 incident the b...
- TODAY'S OTHER LINKS * Birth control for tigers. ...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Bangladesh launches i...
- WHERE HAVE SANITY GONE? This weekend was amongst ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Asian highway will link 32 nation...
- I AM FEATURED IN THE ASIA! MAGAZINE May Yip, a Si...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY "Who, being loved, is poor?" ...
- THE LONG WALK TO JUSTICE Be a part of it. Sign th...
- LIVE 8 CONCERTS AROUND THE GLOBE If you ask what ...
- KISSINGER HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS Ennis of Sepia m...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The reigning African predators. ...
- ▼ July (44)
- ► 2004 (329)