BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT
I was surprised to see that Bill Gates got unprecedented welcome from Bangladesh just like a head of state. His and Melinda's portraits were hung in front of the VVIP lounge of ZI Airport. Prime Minister personally greeted him in front of her room. All the major ministers were present at different discussion sessions.
Bangladesh is a business potential for Microsoft as due to absence of strict intellectual property/piracy law a major portion of PCs in Bangladesh use pirated Microsoft software. Unlike other countries you can buy an assembled clone desktop PC without software very cheap ($400-$500) and you can buy the pirated software CDs @$1. But now the situation is changing. More local Business houses are keen to get licensed software to be compliant to certain standard. As soon as there are strict IP act in place, everybody will have no option other than to buy the licenses unless they choose open source applications (like Linux based). But Microsoft is widely popular here. And Bangladesh hardware market is growing in exponential rate.
So Gates had no hesitation to sign an agreement with Bangladesh ministry of education to train 10,000 teachers and 200,000 students over the next three years. Obviously the estimated $15 million dollars required for this training would be an investment for potential market for Microsoft software these users will create.
I see the benefit for Bangladesh in the Microsoft announced grant of $15 million for the Asian Women's University in Chittagong. Even from the richest person in the world that is very generous. And Gates also assured that Microsoft will include the Bangladeshi Bangla typing layout in its Windows OS. Currently the layout is based on the Indian INSCRIPT layout which is unfamiliar to most Bangla speaking community.
Bill Gates is also keen to expand investment in Bangladesh.
BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR Wishing all a prosperous and peace...
- THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS
- A BOAT RIDE IN BURIGANGA Last sunday we went to ...
- THE WORD CHRISTMAS According to Katy, there are m...
- BANGLADESH IDOL Last Thursday evening I was atten...
- MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE "So this is Christmas...
- BANGLADESH ISRAEL RELATIONSHIP? According to Isr...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Racism: Apartheid and South Asian...
- LESSONS FOR RECONCILIATION TOWARDS PEACE "We can n...
- TAXI DRIVERS IN NEW YORK DEMAND JUSTICE (Via Saur...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ(crossposted in the global voi...
- TODAY'S TIDBITS * Opinions: The best possible arg...
- BLOG COVERS THE IRAQ ELECTION LIVE For an exclusi...
- VICTORY DAY: 16th of December (from the archive) ...
- The history of Independence of Bangladesh (from th...
- MARTYRED INTELLECTUALS DAY: DECEMBER 14TH (From th...
- PHONE TAPPING VS. HUMAN RIGHTS Bangladesh's telec...
- BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA Biman has messed up big ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * JMB got Guevara wrong. * The arr...
- STUPID WAYS "Against stupidity; God Himself is he...
- TROUBLE IN CHINA The truth is coming out thanks t...
- GLOBAL VOICES ONLINE 2005 LONDON SUMMIT Global V...
- TODAY'S LINKS * 'Japan: The key to east Asian uni...
- TERRORISM IN BANGLADESH, OUTCOME OF A CLASS STRUGG...
- BICYCLE OF VIOLENCE The suicide bombings in Bangl...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN NETROKON...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Wow, what an offer! Switch to Fir...
- BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT I was surprised to see t...
- MONICA YUNUS IN DHAKA Monica Yunus is quickly est...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "They want to destroy hope, the...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN GAZIPUR ...
- BANGLADESHIS REACT The rise of suicidal militancy...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2004 (329)