BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA
Biman has messed up big time with the hajj flights. The trouble started when the minister for civil aviation Mir Nasiruddin fixed airfare of the national carrier Biman at a higher rate to carry the 50,000 hajjis for the pilgrimage to Mecca. The travel agents protested and threatened to boycott Biman and after the Prime minister's intervention, Nasir resigned. To mend the scar, this had became a political issue of the new minister, who vowed to carry 59,000 hajjis with Biman. Two aircrafts were chartered for hajj flights not to disrupt Biman's regular schedules.
The prime minister opened the first hajj flight and then the nightmare began. The five hajj flights of Biman were cancelled between Sunday night and Monday evening causing a chaos in the Zia International Airport, Dhaka as Biman employees were scrambling to reschedule the flights of several hundred stranded pilgrims. Much later the passengers were informed that the flights could not fly to Jeddah as they did not have the landing permission from the Saudi Authorities (Oops, probably somebody forgot). The stranded hajjis protested and ransacked Biman offices in ZIA airport. Amidst all Sujat Ali, age 55 died of a cardiac arrest at the airport at about 1:30am Monday while asleep in the airport floor. Finally after 30 hours hajj flights resumed leaving bitter experiences to the mostly elderly pilgrims.
I wonder whether the relatives of Sujat Ali or any passenger will ever sue Biman for its mishandling of flights. They can seek compensation under rule 240. Biman however claimed that it had arranged hotel accommodations for the pilgrims whose flights had been cancelled but many of the pilgrimage including Sujat Ali refused. This is not believable as the Biman officials had little idea about what was going on. Will there ever be an enquiry? It is ironic that the government of this so called Islamic country treats Muslim pilgrims like commodities.
Udpate: Biman's problem persisted in Tuesday also even though an additional 387-seater airbus 330-300, chartered from Air Luxor of Portugal arrived in Dhaka for carrying the pilgrims. Guess what! Somebody again forgot to get the landing permission in Jeddah from the Saudi government. Many pilgrims were seen left stranded in the airport Tuesday night, as the Biman officials were trying to accommodate them in regular scheduled flights. Meanwhile the aviation minister said that these kinds of delays can happen everywhere due to unavoidable circumstances. He also said that Biman is not liable to pay compensation as the deceased passenger was not issued a boarding pass. After all what's the life of a commoner is worth?
BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR Wishing all a prosperous and peace...
- THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS
- A BOAT RIDE IN BURIGANGA Last sunday we went to ...
- THE WORD CHRISTMAS According to Katy, there are m...
- BANGLADESH IDOL Last Thursday evening I was atten...
- MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE "So this is Christmas...
- BANGLADESH ISRAEL RELATIONSHIP? According to Isr...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Racism: Apartheid and South Asian...
- LESSONS FOR RECONCILIATION TOWARDS PEACE "We can n...
- TAXI DRIVERS IN NEW YORK DEMAND JUSTICE (Via Saur...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ(crossposted in the global voi...
- TODAY'S TIDBITS * Opinions: The best possible arg...
- BLOG COVERS THE IRAQ ELECTION LIVE For an exclusi...
- VICTORY DAY: 16th of December (from the archive) ...
- The history of Independence of Bangladesh (from th...
- MARTYRED INTELLECTUALS DAY: DECEMBER 14TH (From th...
- PHONE TAPPING VS. HUMAN RIGHTS Bangladesh's telec...
- BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA Biman has messed up big ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * JMB got Guevara wrong. * The arr...
- STUPID WAYS "Against stupidity; God Himself is he...
- TROUBLE IN CHINA The truth is coming out thanks t...
- GLOBAL VOICES ONLINE 2005 LONDON SUMMIT Global V...
- TODAY'S LINKS * 'Japan: The key to east Asian uni...
- TERRORISM IN BANGLADESH, OUTCOME OF A CLASS STRUGG...
- BICYCLE OF VIOLENCE The suicide bombings in Bangl...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN NETROKON...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Wow, what an offer! Switch to Fir...
- BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT I was surprised to see t...
- MONICA YUNUS IN DHAKA Monica Yunus is quickly est...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "They want to destroy hope, the...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN GAZIPUR ...
- BANGLADESHIS REACT The rise of suicidal militancy...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2004 (329)