The history of Independence of Bangladesh
(from the archive)
I am not a historian. But I am trying to summarize here the history of Bangladesh's Independence for those who would like to have an idea about it.
In 1947 Indian subcontinent got its independence from British rule and were divided into Pakistan & India. The division was on the notion of two-nation theory, separate religious states of Hindu & Muslim. Some say that the British invoked the Hindu Muslim riots, some say the shrewd politicians, but these grim incidents led people nodding to this partitions and thought if the Hindu's and Muslims had a separate country, there would be no such violence. But wrong again. What happened to most of the Hindus in Pakistan and Muslims in India, who were living in harmony since long? Pakistan was divided into two portions: West Pakistan (containing Pathans, Panjabis, Beluchis) & East Pakistan (containing the Bengalis). A large-scale migration took place after that. Hindus were almost completely wiped out of West Pakistan. But lots of Hindus remained in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) and many Muslims in India.
Pakistan is historically a theological country, from its birth. They chose Arabic fonts for their national language Urdu and imposed it to Bengalis. But the East Pakistanis fought for keeping their language Bangla unchanged and uphold as a second state language, and gave their lives in 1952 in the process (recognized as International Mother Language Day). East Pakistanis were deprived of many things as West Pakistan progressed leaving behind East Pakistan. In East Pakistan Bengalis hold on to their culture and values and Muslim and Hindu (30% of population) happily lived together (which was treated by Pakistanis as not Islamic). The East had to survive a lot of devastating natural calamities, which were neglected by the govt. sitting on West Pakistan.
In 1970, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his party Awami League won the majority (over 53 percent) in National Assembly election. But the lords at West Pakistan did not welcome it. The Assembly was suspended with the fear that Sheikh Mujib would be the head of the whole Pakistan because of the majority. He called for a nationwide strike and preparation of independence in East Pakistan in March 7, 1971. In 25th March 1971 West Pakistan Army started an operation killing many innocent civilians, University students, even police forces with a view to diffuse the uprising and tensions.
In 26th March 1971, on behalf of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the Independence declaration was read by another patriot, Ziaur Rahman (an Army major that time). A bloody war of liberation began.
Pakistan Army's motto was to ethnic cleanse Hindus and dominate Bengalis with force so that they can rule them better. The general people of Pakistan were told in propaganda that the Army is controlling the civil war, which is being instigated by India. Approx. 3 million people died in the war, women were mass raped by Pakistanis, houses looted, devastated. Many took refuse in the neighboring India. But Bengalis started to resist. Freedom fighters were trained up with the help of India. And the fight back rattled Pakistanis. They could not stop the rebellion within 9 months. At last India engaged in the war in December and Bangladesh got liberated from the tyranny of Pakistan. The Pakistan Army and some collaborators killed some of the finest intellectuals of the country just two days before their surrender in 16th december 1971.
The war itself is an epic. The history of it is being written in bits and pieces and there have been efforts also to summarize it. But we should never end the quest for the true spirit and values of the war.
Click here for the map of Bangladesh.
Bangladesh Liberation War 1971 Photo gallery
Click here and here for more pictures.
Read about the legendary concert for Bangladesh.
* Bangladesh Liberation war
* Liberation war of Bangladesh, 1971
* The 1971 India-Pakistan war site
* Bangladesh Liberation War - Wikipedia
* Genocide watch: genocide in Bangladesh, 1971
* Bangladesh Liberation War: A Personal Diary
* The Indian Air force in the liberation war: 1971
* Bangladesh Ministry of liberation war affairs: official site
* Liberation war
* Bangladesh -71: a pc game on the libeartion war of Bangladesh
The history of Independence of Bangladesh
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR Wishing all a prosperous and peace...
- THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS
- A BOAT RIDE IN BURIGANGA Last sunday we went to ...
- THE WORD CHRISTMAS According to Katy, there are m...
- BANGLADESH IDOL Last Thursday evening I was atten...
- MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE "So this is Christmas...
- BANGLADESH ISRAEL RELATIONSHIP? According to Isr...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Racism: Apartheid and South Asian...
- LESSONS FOR RECONCILIATION TOWARDS PEACE "We can n...
- TAXI DRIVERS IN NEW YORK DEMAND JUSTICE (Via Saur...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ(crossposted in the global voi...
- TODAY'S TIDBITS * Opinions: The best possible arg...
- BLOG COVERS THE IRAQ ELECTION LIVE For an exclusi...
- VICTORY DAY: 16th of December (from the archive) ...
- The history of Independence of Bangladesh (from th...
- MARTYRED INTELLECTUALS DAY: DECEMBER 14TH (From th...
- PHONE TAPPING VS. HUMAN RIGHTS Bangladesh's telec...
- BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA Biman has messed up big ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * JMB got Guevara wrong. * The arr...
- STUPID WAYS "Against stupidity; God Himself is he...
- TROUBLE IN CHINA The truth is coming out thanks t...
- GLOBAL VOICES ONLINE 2005 LONDON SUMMIT Global V...
- TODAY'S LINKS * 'Japan: The key to east Asian uni...
- TERRORISM IN BANGLADESH, OUTCOME OF A CLASS STRUGG...
- BICYCLE OF VIOLENCE The suicide bombings in Bangl...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN NETROKON...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Wow, what an offer! Switch to Fir...
- BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT I was surprised to see t...
- MONICA YUNUS IN DHAKA Monica Yunus is quickly est...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "They want to destroy hope, the...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN GAZIPUR ...
- BANGLADESHIS REACT The rise of suicidal militancy...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2004 (329)