HAPPY NEW YEAR
Wishing all a prosperous and peaceful 2006.
I have been very busy lately in home and at work. Blogging had been a rare luxury I could afford lately. I have tons of ideas and events to share but just couldn't make it here (for lack of time).
Just arrived from a family new year's party. This year's celebrations were subdued to some extent. The usual crackers and fire works were absent, at least in the locality I live. Probably what kept people inside home is the extra police protection due to threats of the extremists and bans on firecrackers. The movements of vehicles in popular New Year celebration points like Gulshan, Banani and Dhaka University were restricted. Some people were wandering around in the streets defying all but loud musics and live concerts were played in fewer places than before.
Nothing special on TV either. In recent times one more Bangla satellite channel (RTV) has been launched and two more (Baishakhi & Bangla Vision) went into test transmission. But none looks very promising as they are just the same wine in a new bottle. Now there are 8 Bangladeshi Bangla sattelite channels (including BTV) on air. I wish there were separate channels for 24hr Bangla news, 24hr Bangla music, 24hr Bangla movie and 24hr deshi sport. There is a 24hr Bangla music channel launched by Indian Tara network but is rarely available in Dhaka.
More later. Good night.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- HAPPY NEW YEAR Wishing all a prosperous and peace...
- THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS
- A BOAT RIDE IN BURIGANGA Last sunday we went to ...
- THE WORD CHRISTMAS According to Katy, there are m...
- BANGLADESH IDOL Last Thursday evening I was atten...
- MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE "So this is Christmas...
- BANGLADESH ISRAEL RELATIONSHIP? According to Isr...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Racism: Apartheid and South Asian...
- LESSONS FOR RECONCILIATION TOWARDS PEACE "We can n...
- TAXI DRIVERS IN NEW YORK DEMAND JUSTICE (Via Saur...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ(crossposted in the global voi...
- TODAY'S TIDBITS * Opinions: The best possible arg...
- BLOG COVERS THE IRAQ ELECTION LIVE For an exclusi...
- VICTORY DAY: 16th of December (from the archive) ...
- The history of Independence of Bangladesh (from th...
- MARTYRED INTELLECTUALS DAY: DECEMBER 14TH (From th...
- PHONE TAPPING VS. HUMAN RIGHTS Bangladesh's telec...
- BIMAN'S HAJJ FLIGHT SAGA Biman has messed up big ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * JMB got Guevara wrong. * The arr...
- STUPID WAYS "Against stupidity; God Himself is he...
- TROUBLE IN CHINA The truth is coming out thanks t...
- GLOBAL VOICES ONLINE 2005 LONDON SUMMIT Global V...
- TODAY'S LINKS * 'Japan: The key to east Asian uni...
- TERRORISM IN BANGLADESH, OUTCOME OF A CLASS STRUGG...
- BICYCLE OF VIOLENCE The suicide bombings in Bangl...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN NETROKON...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Wow, what an offer! Switch to Fir...
- BILL GETS VVIP TREATMENT I was surprised to see t...
- MONICA YUNUS IN DHAKA Monica Yunus is quickly est...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "They want to destroy hope, the...
- BREAKING NEWS: ANOTHER SUICIDE BOMBING IN GAZIPUR ...
- BANGLADESHIS REACT The rise of suicidal militancy...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2004 (329)