TOXIC LINER BAN
Its commendable that Bangladesh Government has banned the SS Norway, an asbestos-lined French ocean-liner, from being broken up in its ship-breaking yards. (BBC News) The Indian government banned the ocean-liner earlier.
However the Bangladesh ship-breaking industry still risks lives of 45000 workers from frequent accidents in terrible work environment.
Read this interesting Greenpeace article "Clemenceau… The ship that died but didn’t stop killing" to get an insight into the fate of end-of-life ships from the First World and why they end up in the third world.
"End of the line" is a spectacular photo essay by Brendan Corr on shipbreaking in Bangladesh.
Sepia Mutiny has more on this.
TOXIC LINER BAN
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Journeys, like artists, are bo...
- WHATS HAPPENING IN BANGLADESH? If you live in Dha...
- POWER CRISIS A severe power crisis has hit the Dh...
- SWEET VICTORY I was following the Bangladesh-Sri ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Ekushe February- International Mo...
- RELOCATION PART I: THE NEWS I guess those who fol...
- RELOCATION PART II: THE BACKGROUND I myself have ...
- RELOCATION PART III: WHY GERMANY? Those who know ...
- RELOCATION PART IV: THE SACRIFICE Staying togeth...
- RELOCATION PART V: THE CHALLENGE In my 11 years o...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "To classify Bangladeshis, for ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Cry for me, Bangladesh. * Maa is...
- THE CARTOON ROW Thank you Mr. Roberto Calderoli, ...
- TOXIC LINER BAN Its commendable that Bangladesh G...
- PONTING'S QUERY Just prior to the Australia crick...
- DIFFERENCE OF CULTURES A quote from Mezba's blog:...
- THE FOOD MEME Sukanya has tagged me for a food me...
- WHERE DID MY SPRING GO? This year spring came unn...
- FROM DEMOCRACY TOWARDS DESPOTISM Tasneem Khalil, ...
- PROTEST ON FRIDAYS Have you ever wondered why the...
- CORRUPTION OF THE MIND In this sinful world we ha...
- THE BRITISH CONNECTION Last September David Monte...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Suffering Bangladeshi workers fee...
- BLOGOSPHERE GROWTH David Sifry has updated the la...
- RESPECT AND TOLERANCE
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Cross-posted in the Global V...
- CELEBRATING BANGLADESH The Daily Star has publish...
- THE FIRST DHAKA BLOGGERS MEET The first Dhaka blo...
- ROCKING JIHAD This is really disturbing. Probe Ne...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Do you want to be a prostitute? ...
- UPDATE ON DHAKA BLOGGERS MEET I am delighted to l...
- ▼ February (31)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)