SEARCHING FOR FATWAS
I was really surprised by this AFP news, which quoted an unknown cleric of a mosque of a small town of Bangladesh telling Bangladeshi Muslims in a sermon not to fly the flags of any 'infidel' nations playing in the Football World Cup.
However, the report also highlights:
His call came as thousands of flags of World Cup football favourites fluttered over Bangladesh's cities and towns with the tournament less than two weeks away.
Most of the flags flying from the rooftops of houses and windows of apartments are of the two World Cup favourites -- Argentina and Brazil -- as most football fans support the team of either one nation or the other. But some fans were also flying the flags of Germany, France and Italy.
Ironically the clerics quote takes the attention away from the craze of Bangladeshis over the play, which has recently been superseded by cricket. As Bangladesh is way down the line in football according to FIFA rank, they are more comfortable as adamant supporters of the South American and European top nations, which have won the previous world cups. No doubt the supporters like to be on the winning side. During any world cup, if you go along a Bangladeshi street whether its in the capital or in a small town, you will see flags of Argentina, Brazil or other nations hoisted in the roof. And there are no religious biasness in the support.
Bangladeshi students have a lot of things to protest, but none are as earnest as the demand to postpone exams after the world cup. On request of the Bangladeshi journalists, FIFA president Sepp Blatter had to intervene personally to more than double the coverage of next month's World Cup in football-crazy Bangladesh. There are free TV coverage available of almost all the matches which makes the TV sells sore every four years. More than 71,000 prisoners of 66 prisons in Bangladesh will enjoy World Cup for the first time this year.
But the AFP reporter had taken all the trouble to go to Ishwardi to find this cleric and to quote him. This guy is a nobody and it really does not matter when a sheep blabbers.
And after reading the AFP news the international audience will have a different view of the Bangladeshis. Isn't this called a jaundiced eye view?
SEARCHING FOR FATWAS
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CHANCES OF JAMAAT-E-ISLAMI BANGLADESH IN THE COMIN...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY Fernseh Turm - Berlin TV tower
- CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR RELIGIOUS MADNESS At last ...
- BANGLADESHI BLOGS - another update
- SEARCHING FOR FATWAS I was really surprised by th...
- FREEDOM OF SPEECH UPDATE Pickled Politics reports...
- THE GARMENTS INDUSTRY RIOTS IN BANGLADESH The rea...
- TODAY'S LINKS * And they now gear up narcotic jih...
- WAR AGAINST TERROR IN TAMPA, USA They just wanted...
- BRAND BLUES Branding Bangladesh in a new way:- DK...
- <!--begin bat blogroll-->Bloggers Against TortureJ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * American soldiers who shoot 3-yea...
- ANOTHER ELECTION PROMISE? Rumi of Drishtipat wrot...
- NAVIGATION SYSTEM IN BANGLADESH I really don't k...
- UNUSUAL RETREAT Ever thought of getting an opport...
- SHAHIDUL UP CLOSE Shahidul Alam is a pioneer in p...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Match schedule (fixture) for the ...
- CENSORING THE DA VINCI CODE The movie is schedule...
- BLAME IT ON THE BULLY Its true that Biman do not ...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ: Crossposted in the Global V...
- TODAY'S LINKS * What do you do when someone steal...
- BANGLA WIKIPEDIA I got an email from Ragib Hasan,...
- OF WHAT RELIGION ARE YOU? Are you a Muslim, Buddh...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh: Colour and chaos unsp...
- SECURE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE The Change Bangladesh b...
- BLACK MONEY Ways to make your black money white i...
- LETTER DIPLOMACY Between Bush and Ahmadinejad—two...
- GERMAN CITIZENSHIP After much controversy, German...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The Committee to Protect Bloggers...
- LESSONS NEEDED FOR THE EC A Database can be edite...
- BRING THE ARMY In Bangladesh, the army is called ...
- FREE ALAA I am really shocked! Alaa Ahmed Seif a...
- ON RACISM Got an email which claims that the foll...
- UNVEILING SAUDI ARABIA This is good news. Saudi A...
- ▼ May (34)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)