WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY
The North and eastern German landscapes have changed a lot since the mid Nineteen Nineties. Today the landscape is dotted with spectacular homogeneous windmills or wind turbines, some of which are 100 meters high. In the regions of Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein and in Saxony-Anhalt thousands of Windmills have emerged to provide power to the national grid. One such turbine can generate a million kilowatt hours a year, powerful enough to provide electricity needs of a small village. They provide a beautiful view specially when you are taking the Autobahn (highway).
Since 1997, Germany has overtaken the United States as the world’s leading producer of wind energy. It is estimated that Germany now has approximately 10,000 such wind turbines.
"Germany is now the world leader in renewable energy. 10% of its electricity requirements are now supplied by wind, solar, bio-mass and small hydro. Experts say that this will grow to 20-25% within 15 years, when nuclear is scheduled to be phased out." (source)
The only problem is that the wind energy is very expensive. Extracting one kilowatt/hour of energy from the wind costs four times as much as using fossil fuels. A law which tells the electricity providers to buy power from wind turbines at a designated price, secures the windmill owners. That is why the opposition to wind power is growing as it is not a profitable business.
The state of the remaining traditional windmills in eastern Germany is dilapidating. They face extinction as they are either being modified or simply being brought down.
I think technological advancements will make electricity generation from windmills less expensive in the coming years. It is great to see that Germany is clutching on to this form of energy eventhough it is not economically a better choice. I think after 50 years, when the major oil and coal reserves of the world are almost emptied, Germany will not face a crisis being depended on fossil energy.
WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CORRUPT MILLIONAIRE MINISTERS OF BANGLADESH Recei...
- TRANSPARENCY Another election pledge remains unfu...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the Global Vo...
- TODAY'S PHOTO Berlin has a mixture of old and mo...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s fraying democracy. ...
- LEARNING ENGLISH IN JAPAN Can be fun!
- BRAVO AUSTRALIA The Australian world cup march wa...
- ONE NATION'S HERO IS ANOTHER NATION'S TRAITOR Fli...
- IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER I have found yet anothe...
- SOCCER DEMOCRACY After all watching football is b...
- WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY The ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Germany's soccer extravaganza. *...
- SIEMENS NOKIA MERGER? Nokia Corporation and Sieme...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "In no other capital city of th...
- BANGLADESH IS A LAND OF CONFUSION The above is st...
- AN ELEGY FOR BANGLADESH What if someone writes an...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Suicide in religion. * World Cup...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY A sculpture near the state oper...
- WHEN GERMANY WINS If you were staying in your hom...
- INTERNATIONAL WEBLOGGER'S DAY Today is the 3rd an...
- IN A WORLD CUP CITY You know you are in a city ho...
- WORLD CUP BLUES The FIFA world cup is the single ...
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY
- TOOOOOOR! The World Cup 2006 has just been start...
- THE GERMAN CHANCELLOR IS PODCASTING German Chance...
- LOVE GENERATION The French house legend Bob Sincl...
- WORLD CUP, THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS Its less than a d...
- WORLD CUP FEVER Berlin is ready for the world cu...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2006-2007 AsiaPundit is hosting ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The horrors really are your Ameri...
- 06.06.06 Today's date is the magic date. Is this ...
- A STITCH IN TIME Now that Bangladesh is connected...
- INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY Bangladesh has been floo...
- THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI It is good to see tha...
- TODAY'S LINKS * What exactly is a Blog, anyway? ...
- MOSQUITO BUSTER This device is desperately needed...
- BERLIN HAUPTBAHNHOF I missed being there, watchi...
- DONATE YOUR QUESTION Dropping Knowledge, a Berlin...
- MUSIC TIME Listening to Shaheen Sheik. Check out ...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY French church in Berlin Musee I...
- ISLAM AND DEMOCRACY In recent times the burning q...
- ▼ June (41)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)