WORLD CUP FEVER
Berlin is ready for the world cup! I am getting the heat of the football madness right at the ground zero of World Cup. Many street side decorations got the shape of a ball. Even the phone booths got one ball on the rooftop. And of course the famous TV tower (up) has been painted in the shape of a ball. Some cars are carrying flags of different world cup participant countries. The world cup supplements of many magazines and newspapers have swarmed the newspaper stands. And creativity has never had a more influential subject than football. Regular shops are selling football shaped candies, football shaped corn flakes and what not?
Shops will be kept open till 10 at night during the world cup for the tourists. Special brothels are ready to entertain some of the international guests. The public transport authority has issued special whole day tickets for the world cup fans. Shops will remain open till the late hours during the world cup. And suddenly (quite contrary to their habit) some Germans are trying to speak in English to foreigners. The city has put on a friendliness campaign like Berlinizer to lend a helping hand to the visiting tourists speaking their language.
Germany is expecting visit of millions of football fans during world cup. The June 9-July 9 tournament in 12 cities is expected to inject $12 billion in the dull economy. Some 50,000 jobs are expected to be created to help staff hotels, shops and venues hosting the games. But Germany has also many things to worry. Security is the top priority for the Germans. Recent attacks against the foreigners by right-wing radicals were much publicized. Every now and then it is reminded that 'Germany loves colors'. I hope this also remains after the world cup.
And the Germans have just gone crazy. They are trying to statistically prove that whenever Germany hosts world cup they wins. But they seem to ignore the fact that one number does not form a statistics trend(Germany has previously hosted the cup in 1974 and won). You can get the tune of their confidence in this poem:
Germany will win, there's no denying -
Everyone agrees, or else they're lying!
But the national team is yet to prove their fans confidence in the field. Although they had some wins in recent matches, they have drawn with Japan, a team low in WC ranking. But the fans expect that Germany will succeed for the fourth time in clinching the title. And the next 33 days, it will be a crazy ride for many.
After all who can escape the world cup madness?
Some useful world cup links:
* FIFA Worldcup official site.
* Complete match schedule.
* Fantasy world cup.
* World cup downloads.
* Joga Bonito - World's longest soccer video.
* World cup predictions.
* The World Cup Blog.
* We all speak football.
WORLD CUP FEVER
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CORRUPT MILLIONAIRE MINISTERS OF BANGLADESH Recei...
- TRANSPARENCY Another election pledge remains unfu...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the Global Vo...
- TODAY'S PHOTO Berlin has a mixture of old and mo...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s fraying democracy. ...
- LEARNING ENGLISH IN JAPAN Can be fun!
- BRAVO AUSTRALIA The Australian world cup march wa...
- ONE NATION'S HERO IS ANOTHER NATION'S TRAITOR Fli...
- IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER I have found yet anothe...
- SOCCER DEMOCRACY After all watching football is b...
- WIND TURBINES IN GERMANY - RENEWABLE ENERGY The ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Germany's soccer extravaganza. *...
- SIEMENS NOKIA MERGER? Nokia Corporation and Sieme...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "In no other capital city of th...
- BANGLADESH IS A LAND OF CONFUSION The above is st...
- AN ELEGY FOR BANGLADESH What if someone writes an...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Suicide in religion. * World Cup...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY A sculpture near the state oper...
- WHEN GERMANY WINS If you were staying in your hom...
- INTERNATIONAL WEBLOGGER'S DAY Today is the 3rd an...
- IN A WORLD CUP CITY You know you are in a city ho...
- WORLD CUP BLUES The FIFA world cup is the single ...
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY
- TOOOOOOR! The World Cup 2006 has just been start...
- THE GERMAN CHANCELLOR IS PODCASTING German Chance...
- LOVE GENERATION The French house legend Bob Sincl...
- WORLD CUP, THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS Its less than a d...
- WORLD CUP FEVER Berlin is ready for the world cu...
- ASIA BLOG AWARDS 2006-2007 AsiaPundit is hosting ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The horrors really are your Ameri...
- 06.06.06 Today's date is the magic date. Is this ...
- A STITCH IN TIME Now that Bangladesh is connected...
- INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY Bangladesh has been floo...
- THE ACCENTUATION OF BENGALI It is good to see tha...
- TODAY'S LINKS * What exactly is a Blog, anyway? ...
- MOSQUITO BUSTER This device is desperately needed...
- BERLIN HAUPTBAHNHOF I missed being there, watchi...
- DONATE YOUR QUESTION Dropping Knowledge, a Berlin...
- MUSIC TIME Listening to Shaheen Sheik. Check out ...
- PHOTO OF THE DAY French church in Berlin Musee I...
- ISLAM AND DEMOCRACY In recent times the burning q...
- ▼ June (41)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)