The World Cup has changed Germany. Apart from boosting the economy like lowering the unemployment rate, Football has influenced even the behaviors of the Germans. Especially the recent success of the German football team, which has qualified to the semi-final, has really united the nation. Everyone is doing something to prove their patriotism. People are putting flags in cars, wearing German team jerseys, painting faces and hairs with German flag tricolor; even painting pets or the whole house for that matter. Where only decades ago one was deemed as a extreme right wing if displayed a flag openly. Germany simply did not have the tradition to display flags or honking.
Yesterday, after the win over Argentina, the celebrations in Berlin were just very elaborate. After the end of the match many people flocked to Kurfurstendamm in their cars gazing forward from the sunroofs with jubilation with flags in their hand. Most interesting thing is that everyone was honking! Even cyclists were carrying flags. They were shouting Deutschland, Deutschland. I have not seen Berlin like this before. The fan mile at Brandenburger Gate was crowded with hundreds of thousands of fans (see photo). Probably some had partied all night long.
Now the question is will Germany still be outspoken with this sense of unity and patriotism after the world cup? Will their display of patriotism remain prominent? Only time will tell. But I think they have no chance to recede to past as they still have their football team that succeeds over and over.
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- Bangladesh Blog Buzz
- QUOTE OF THE DAY
- ISRAELI TARGETS
- YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY
- THE NEW ASHES
- TODAY'S LINKS
- COLLECTIVE GUILT AND COLLECTIVE PUNISHMENT
- TODAY'S LINKS * Slate's the Middle East interacti...
- YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY Israel passed by .. he...
- NATION OR RELIGION? Result of an interesting surv...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Robert Fisk: If the Lebanese disl...
- LOVE ATTACK ON MERKEL The Bild reports that at th...
- YOUTUBE VIDEOS OF THE DAY YouTube is serving 100 ...
- WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? Indian bloggers in some par...
- THE REAL AIM OF THE WAR Sabbah, a Palestinian blo...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "See, the irony is what they re...
- TSUNAMI STRIKES AGAIN Today a tsunami has struck ...
- WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO DESERVE THIS? The war is o...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Israel’s catch-22. * why Hizboll...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY " Israel invaded Lebanon twice ...
- ARE GERMANS BECOMING LAZY? Germans are known in t...
- THE SAYEEDI AFFAIR The recent UK visit of Delwar ...
- YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY Bollywood rap
- TODAY'S LINKS * The best of Germany 2006. * Shoc...
- IS THIS THE BIG WAR? "War is regarded as nothing b...
- TODAY'S LINKS * End this punishment of the Palest...
- MUMBAI TRAIN BLASTS Seven serial blasts have rock...
- IN SEARCH OF AN ANSWER The most burning question ...
- CHANGING ATTITUDES There are numerous examples of...
- I WAS THERE! I had a wonderful experience watchin...
- TODAY'S LINKS * There is an alternative to Islam’...
- YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY The Germany Argentina ...
- THE ERA OF WEBBASED PC HAS BEGAN "A desktop in my ...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY " What is Tibet? Is it just ano...
- PHOTOS OF THE DAY The fountain of Sony center i...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Early Bengali science fiction * ...
- A BLACK SPOT IN BERLIN Just as when the authoriti...
- AGAINST ALL ODDS Every Saturday the daily Prothom...
- THE PRIZE FOR CORRUPTION Bangladesh is constantly...
- DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND The World Cup has change...
- MUSLIM NATIONALISM IN UK? Alton Towers in Staffor...
- VIDEO PODCAST IN BANGLADESH The above is a title ...
- DAMAGING PUBLIC PROPERTY Desh of Dristikone blog ...
- ▼ July (44)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)