ALLAH MADE ME FUNNY
"Just as Muslims feel that Islam is greatly misunderstood in America so too America is greatly misunderstood in the Muslim world." - says Azhar Usman, a Muslim American comedian who is performing the above titled comedy show in US to counter the negative stereotypes and attitudes about Muslims and Arabs. The comedy is about making fun of themselves, their communities and the prejudices they face. -reports BBC.
This show is aiming to demonstrate that the actions of a handful of extremists acting in the name of Islam have nothing to do with most Muslims.
Controversies arouse when an FBI sting operation composed of bogus plans to launder money and attack a Pakistani official led to the arrests of a 34-year-old Iraqi and Mohammed Hossain, 49, a Bangladeshi-American citizen; both clerics of a New York mosque. Deputy U.S. Attorney General James Comey told a news conference that it was the jury's duty to consider "Were they dragged into criminal activity to which they were not predisposed, by a government overbearing his will?" Well from the local newspaper reports I found that the FBI undercover agent posed as a terrorist reached and proposed them to help plotting a terrorist activity and buy certain missile vide money laundering. They were accused of money laundering and aiding terrorist plot.
The lawyer of the accused says that the case against Muslim cleric is "fantasy" and the prosecution has "racial, religious & cultural" overtones.
Back to the comedy show:
"We've made a lot of progress towards ending racism in America," Azhar tells the audience. "But we've been hearing about it for decades. A black man says he can never get a fair trial in America."
He pauses. "But Arabs and Muslims say they can't even get a trial."
The audience roars appreciatively.
ALLAH MADE ME FUNNY
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- RACISM BREWING IN BAHRAIN Bahrainis are proud of ...
- EMAIL TRACKING Here is a guide which shows how ...
- IF YOU HAVE THE WILL YOU HAVE THE WAY A plan of...
- ECONOMICS MADE EASY FOR DUMMIES Holy Cow! I did...
- IN WHICH DIRECTION OUR POLITICS IS GOING? Bangl...
- THE THREAT AGAINST DEMOCRACY CONTINUES After 2 ...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * Panic is a sudden desert...
- THE SCREAM IS STOLEN The norwegian painter Edvar...
- LIVING IN PANIC Many are wondering about the type...
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * The new edition of the...
- SHOCK & LOATH Yesterday evening panic sprea...
- RESIST THEM (Picture Courtesy the Daily Star) T...
- KNOW YOUR ENEMY The Islami fanatics of Banglade...
- And Everything Will Be in the Custody of the Damne...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * A child who is allowed t...
- THE LEADER The nation mournes today the 29t...
- IN REMEBRANCE OF DR. HUMAYUN AZAD (1947-2004) ...
- Relief efforts
- HELP BANGLADESHI FLOOD VICTIMS Click the ...
- NOBO BANGLA - A HORRIBLE PROJECT The news has n...
- BANGLADESH - IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER Damien ...
- ALLAH MADE ME FUNNY "Just as Muslims feel that ...
- JUSTICE DELAYED..JUSTICE DENIED Sylhet has been r...
- PROOF KILLED IN ENCOUNTER You have seen it in t...
- DONATIONS FOR THE BANGLADESH FLOOD VICTIMS ...
- ELSEWHERE IN BLOGOSPHERE * "Gaping void" 's tip...
- TACKLING FLOOD The flood situation in Banglades...
- BANGLADESH'S TEST STATUS In the recently conclu...
- ▼ August (28)