RACISM BREWING IN BAHRAIN
Bahrainis are proud of their multi-million dollar F1 circuit and their shiny cities with clean roads and impressive buildings. But how do they treat those people who build those infrastructures and then sweep them clean? They are mostly Asian migrants (Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistanis). Bahraini's depend on them as they are also their tailors, carpenters, mechanics, drivers and the shopkeepers, because they find these jobs as not suitable for them (with Petrodollar pride you can think whatever you want). Chana'd Bahraini, a Bahraini blogger tells that racism against the Asian migrant workers has been growing strong. A recent arson attack against 100 Indian and Bangladeshi workers was done by three teenagers without any reason. There is also an effort to move large numbers of migrant workers out of Manama, the capital following clashes between Bahrainis and Asians living in the capital. Their targets are mainly the poorer Asians, many of whom live crammed together into squalid, derelict buildings, because that is all they can afford.
We know about the migrant workers plights as they are raped, tortured, forced to work extra hours and the only justice they get is some reprimand to the Bahraini and no capital punishment. A Bahraini man was jailed for three months after being convicted of brutally torturing a Bangladeshi employee. The sentence will be suspended if he pays a mere BD300 fine.
According to Chana'd, the younger generation of Bahrainis lacks respect for the Asians, and there is no effort to change this. The situation can only get worse.
RACISM BREWING IN BAHRAIN
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- ► 2005 (373)
- RACISM BREWING IN BAHRAIN Bahrainis are proud of ...
- EMAIL TRACKING Here is a guide which shows how ...
- IF YOU HAVE THE WILL YOU HAVE THE WAY A plan of...
- ECONOMICS MADE EASY FOR DUMMIES Holy Cow! I did...
- IN WHICH DIRECTION OUR POLITICS IS GOING? Bangl...
- THE THREAT AGAINST DEMOCRACY CONTINUES After 2 ...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * Panic is a sudden desert...
- THE SCREAM IS STOLEN The norwegian painter Edvar...
- LIVING IN PANIC Many are wondering about the type...
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * The new edition of the...
- SHOCK & LOATH Yesterday evening panic sprea...
- RESIST THEM (Picture Courtesy the Daily Star) T...
- KNOW YOUR ENEMY The Islami fanatics of Banglade...
- And Everything Will Be in the Custody of the Damne...
- QUOTES OF THE DAY * A child who is allowed t...
- THE LEADER The nation mournes today the 29t...
- IN REMEBRANCE OF DR. HUMAYUN AZAD (1947-2004) ...
- Relief efforts
- HELP BANGLADESHI FLOOD VICTIMS Click the ...
- NOBO BANGLA - A HORRIBLE PROJECT The news has n...
- BANGLADESH - IN THE EYES OF A BEHOLDER Damien ...
- ALLAH MADE ME FUNNY "Just as Muslims feel that ...
- JUSTICE DELAYED..JUSTICE DENIED Sylhet has been r...
- PROOF KILLED IN ENCOUNTER You have seen it in t...
- DONATIONS FOR THE BANGLADESH FLOOD VICTIMS ...
- ELSEWHERE IN BLOGOSPHERE * "Gaping void" 's tip...
- TACKLING FLOOD The flood situation in Banglades...
- BANGLADESH'S TEST STATUS In the recently conclu...
- ▼ August (28)