NOT DOING BADLY, THANK YOU
Philip Browning has written an excellent article in the International Herald Tribune about Bangladesh. Few excerpts:
Is Bangladesh a successful low-income democracy or a failing state? A secular Muslim exemplar or a fundamentalist seedbed? A liberal society, or one beset by corruption and political violence? A crucial component of South Asian geopolitics, or a weak and irrelevant adjunct to India?
All these descriptions contain elements of truth - except irrelevance. Bangladesh matters not just because it has 130 million people, mostly Muslim, or because it is the most densely populated country on earth, but because its Bengali identity makes it the most homogenous nation on the subcontinent.
It is all too easy, however, to overemphasize the dangers of radical Islam here. As in India, there is little history of Islamic violence - more of leftist violence and general political thuggery. The bedrock identity of Bangladesh is being Bengali first, Muslim second.
The bottom line is that Bangladesh remains, with some blemishes, a plural, secular, open and democratic nation whose virtues are seldom credited and whose problems stem in part from the electoral arithmetic and financing needs of party politics.
I wouldn't agree more. But read the whole article. Its rocking.
NOT DOING BADLY, THANK YOU
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- TODAY'S TITBITS * The Da Vinci Code won the Briti...
- NOT DOING BADLY, THANK YOU Philip Browning has wr...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * "Bangladesh: Beyond The Headli...
- BANGLADESH CRICKET TEAM'S ENGLAND TOUR Bangladesh...
- WHEN BEAUTY COMBINES WITH BRAIN Aishwarya Rai, ...
- TENSED BORDERS - HATRED GROWS In my last post abo...
- RIANNA UPDATE -IV Hello everyone. I am going to ...
- THE CASE OF SALAHUDDIN SHOAIB CHOWDHURY Sharif le...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * The war against terror meme sp...
- SEARCHING THE TRUTH Almost three corners of Bangl...
- TODAY'S LINKS * "A living contradiction" in his o...
- AGAINST ALL ODDS The Bangla new year celebrations...
- ANTI-BANGLADESH PROPAGANDA IN UK Our good friend ...
- BENGALI NEW YEAR (1412) GREETINGS Shuvo Nobobar...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * Greg Chappell or Dav Whatmore:...
- SALUTE TO BANGLADESH DEMOCRACY Jane Novak of Armi...
- HATE CRIME I have been reading bits and pieces ab...
- LINK-O-MATIC * Kolkata 4 Dhaka 2 - A comparison ...
- DON'T LISTEN TO IMF In a recent post I have argue...
- TRAFFIC CHAOS IN DHAKA After introducing the reva...
- FAMOUS BANGLADESHI SHOWCASE Dr. Fazlur Rahman K...
- BANGLADESH'S LURKING TERROR Nazli Kibria, who is ...
- UPCOMING MAQSOOD O'DHAKA GIG Have you wondered wh...
- APRIL FOOL'S DAY LINKS * The 100 Greatest April ...
- ▼ April (24)
- ► 2004 (329)