BANGLADESH FERRY DISASTER
Yet another passenger ferry disaster in Bangladesh leaving more than 100 persons feared dead. If you look at the chronology of the disasters from 1986, you will see that the disasters are happening every year. The problem lies in licensing the makeshift ferries, which have poor structural designs and do not meet the safety standard. Although life-jackets are prescribed, they cannot be found in these ferries. Poor warning systems and overcrowding of ferries are also to blame.
Bangladesh has one of the largest water network in the world with a total number of about 700 rivers including tributaries with a total length of about 24,140 km. The ferries plying in these rivers provide cheap transportation to many villagers and poor people who live in remote areas, not accessible by road.
The transportation minister has been able to do nothing except giving compensation of a goat each for the poor victims families. The Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) has a development project for preventing the ferry (called launch) accidents. The project duration is from July 2004 -June 2006. But from the website it is evident that allocation for money is yet to been given for that project. How many more lives will it take for these people to take any action?
BANGLADESH FERRY DISASTER
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (211)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- POWER OF A BLOGGER I am surprised to learn that a...
- CRICKET: ON BANGLADESH'S TEST STATUS Following th...
- LINK-O-MATIC * Its a wiki, wiki world. * A Day i...
- FAMOUS BANGLADESHI SHOWCASE: BIBI RUSSELL Last ...
- GUILTY MULE Schapelle Corby, an Australian girl...
- THE OTHER HALF According to this report, seventee...
- BANGLADESHI ROCK SCENE Manish of Sepia Mutiny wri...
- FIRST EVER TRAFFIC RADIO CHANNEL IN BANGLADESH Th...
- via Chan'ad Bahraini
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * Joe brings you the 6th B...
- THE 100 MILLION MISSING WOMEN IN ASIA DOCTRINE Ow...
- HEALTH UPDATE II I usually do not give much impor...
- HEALTH UPDATE We are having a hell of a busy time...
- GALLOWAY GALLS THE US SENATE COMMITTEE WHICH HAD A...
- SMS IN BANGLA AND THE MOBILE WAR আমি বাঙলায় কথা ব...
- SHORT TAKES * After numerous protests and deaths ...
- BANGLADESH FERRY DISASTER Yet another passenger f...
- HAPPY SLAPPING - SADIST OR NOT People believe tha...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * "Cookie Monster" turned into "...
- THOUGHT OF THE DAY When rain falls in the earth,...
- BOOK SALE IN DHAKA The publishing industry of Ban...
- FACE OF BANGLADESH Gurudasi Mondol gave herself...
- SHORT TAKES * Bangladesh Cricket team starts well...
- DEMOCRACY PREVAILS IN BANGLADESH With the overwhe...
- PARTY BLUES I had a great time last Monday night ...
- SCRAPINGS * A tribute to mother on the mother's d...
- BEGGING TAKES AWAY ONE'S MORAL Snapshot 1: An wom...
- MORE LINKS * The puzzle of Bangladesh * Lt Gen J...
- JOTTINGS OF THE DAY * "Keetha Oilow" and "Keetha ...
- I'M BACK Did you miss me? I was on a forced hiatu...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Salahuddin Shoaib Cho...
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2004 (329)