FACE OF BANGLADESH
Gurudasi Mondol gave herself up to madness in 1971, during the Liberation War of Bangladesh, as she watched her entire family being killed by the Razakars, the collaborators of the occupying forces. Imprisoned and raped by the commander of the Razakars, she was freed months later by a unit of the Bangladesh Liberation army. Thirty years later, she continues to roam the streets of Kopilmoni, in small-town Bangladesh, in search of all she has lost; snatching at will from strangers and breaking into spaces normally reserved for men. She is unafraid and scornful of authorities. In her madness, she has found a strategy for survival. In Kopilmoni, Gurudasi has attained near legendary status. Through her indomitable presence, she has kept the spirit of the Liberation War.
Via Mustafa Jamil
FACE OF BANGLADESH
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- POWER OF A BLOGGER I am surprised to learn that a...
- CRICKET: ON BANGLADESH'S TEST STATUS Following th...
- LINK-O-MATIC * Its a wiki, wiki world. * A Day i...
- FAMOUS BANGLADESHI SHOWCASE: BIBI RUSSELL Last ...
- GUILTY MULE Schapelle Corby, an Australian girl...
- THE OTHER HALF According to this report, seventee...
- BANGLADESHI ROCK SCENE Manish of Sepia Mutiny wri...
- FIRST EVER TRAFFIC RADIO CHANNEL IN BANGLADESH Th...
- via Chan'ad Bahraini
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * Joe brings you the 6th B...
- THE 100 MILLION MISSING WOMEN IN ASIA DOCTRINE Ow...
- HEALTH UPDATE II I usually do not give much impor...
- HEALTH UPDATE We are having a hell of a busy time...
- GALLOWAY GALLS THE US SENATE COMMITTEE WHICH HAD A...
- SMS IN BANGLA AND THE MOBILE WAR আমি বাঙলায় কথা ব...
- SHORT TAKES * After numerous protests and deaths ...
- BANGLADESH FERRY DISASTER Yet another passenger f...
- HAPPY SLAPPING - SADIST OR NOT People believe tha...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * "Cookie Monster" turned into "...
- THOUGHT OF THE DAY When rain falls in the earth,...
- BOOK SALE IN DHAKA The publishing industry of Ban...
- FACE OF BANGLADESH Gurudasi Mondol gave herself...
- SHORT TAKES * Bangladesh Cricket team starts well...
- DEMOCRACY PREVAILS IN BANGLADESH With the overwhe...
- PARTY BLUES I had a great time last Monday night ...
- SCRAPINGS * A tribute to mother on the mother's d...
- BEGGING TAKES AWAY ONE'S MORAL Snapshot 1: An wom...
- MORE LINKS * The puzzle of Bangladesh * Lt Gen J...
- JOTTINGS OF THE DAY * "Keetha Oilow" and "Keetha ...
- I'M BACK Did you miss me? I was on a forced hiatu...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Salahuddin Shoaib Cho...
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2004 (329)