Schapelle Corby, an Australian girl set out with her family on a 10 day holiday in Bali to enjoy the beach and the surf. She accidentally stumbled into a criminal network when the drugs were slipped into her bag once it cleared security checks, to be collected by a worker later. The Indonesian customs officials found 4.1 kg of Marijuana worth $80,000 inside her boogie board and she was put behind bars. After a controversial trial, Corby was sentenced to twenty years sentence and a fine according to local law as there were not enough evidences to prove her innocence. This blog claims that the prosecutors will appeal against the above verdict and plea for a death sentence, the maximum penalty for the crime.
This website "Innocent without a doubt" shouts support for the presumably innocent girl and asks Australian government to intervene.
I remember there was one case in Bangladesh where two US nationals were caught and convicted for drug trafficking. They were later repatriated to US in one exchange program.
But this can happen to everyone, who remains unconscious over the matter. International travelers beware of the laws of the destination.
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- POWER OF A BLOGGER I am surprised to learn that a...
- CRICKET: ON BANGLADESH'S TEST STATUS Following th...
- LINK-O-MATIC * Its a wiki, wiki world. * A Day i...
- FAMOUS BANGLADESHI SHOWCASE: BIBI RUSSELL Last ...
- GUILTY MULE Schapelle Corby, an Australian girl...
- THE OTHER HALF According to this report, seventee...
- BANGLADESHI ROCK SCENE Manish of Sepia Mutiny wri...
- FIRST EVER TRAFFIC RADIO CHANNEL IN BANGLADESH Th...
- via Chan'ad Bahraini
- AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * Joe brings you the 6th B...
- THE 100 MILLION MISSING WOMEN IN ASIA DOCTRINE Ow...
- HEALTH UPDATE II I usually do not give much impor...
- HEALTH UPDATE We are having a hell of a busy time...
- GALLOWAY GALLS THE US SENATE COMMITTEE WHICH HAD A...
- SMS IN BANGLA AND THE MOBILE WAR আমি বাঙলায় কথা ব...
- SHORT TAKES * After numerous protests and deaths ...
- BANGLADESH FERRY DISASTER Yet another passenger f...
- HAPPY SLAPPING - SADIST OR NOT People believe tha...
- TODAY'S JOTTINGS * "Cookie Monster" turned into "...
- THOUGHT OF THE DAY When rain falls in the earth,...
- BOOK SALE IN DHAKA The publishing industry of Ban...
- FACE OF BANGLADESH Gurudasi Mondol gave herself...
- SHORT TAKES * Bangladesh Cricket team starts well...
- DEMOCRACY PREVAILS IN BANGLADESH With the overwhe...
- PARTY BLUES I had a great time last Monday night ...
- SCRAPINGS * A tribute to mother on the mother's d...
- BEGGING TAKES AWAY ONE'S MORAL Snapshot 1: An wom...
- MORE LINKS * The puzzle of Bangladesh * Lt Gen J...
- JOTTINGS OF THE DAY * "Keetha Oilow" and "Keetha ...
- I'M BACK Did you miss me? I was on a forced hiatu...
- GOOD NEWS FROM BANGLADESH * Salahuddin Shoaib Cho...
- ▼ May (31)
- ► 2004 (329)