THE POINTING OF FINGURES AND THE LOOMING THREATS
The above picture (courtesy the Daily Star) sums up the interesting political situation in Bangladesh. The oppositions are blaming government, the government and the Islami parties are blaming Awami League and its allies and the general people are confused as it is pretty clear that the banned Islamic terrorist organization Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) is behind this. But who is behind them is still unclear.
If you read the leaflets (translated by Imtiaz) of JMB you will see that they have threatened the government also:
If the government does not establish Islamic rule and instead arrest Muslims for seeking Allah’s laws and suppresses ulemas (learned in religion) the JM will go into action against concerned people and authorities
I don't understand why the ruling qualition is taking this lightly? There are still patrons of JMB within the ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party(BNP).
They are failing to comprehend that (As Nitin puts it):
"Far from scaring the West out of Muslim countries, the attacks will further bolster the international perception that Bangladesh is on the brink of state failure."
And what this state of failure will trigger? A civil war or another military coup, any one of which won't be good for Bangladesh.
Today I have heard some weirdest of remarks from the Islamic party leaders (actually they become very active only on Friday after the Jumah prayers).
* Shaikhul Hadis said: How can a banned organization have this much power to launch a coordinated attack? It must be the work of the ones who are trying to portray as a taliban state.
* Jamaate Islami spokesman Kamaruzzaman said: It is a ploy to defame the Islami parties.
* Another said: Islam does not support extremism, so these people are not really Islamic, some other force aided by another country is doing this in disguise. He expressed concern that Islami party activists may be harrassed during the police actions.
You have heard these lines before. I am surprised that they did not even consider a bit about the threat to the general people. Even if they wanted to disown these extremists (which is expected from them), they should have been a bit nice about asking the government to nab the perpetrators and demand their justice.
I think like many other previous unresolved attacks (Awami League, Kibria, British Highcommissioner) this issue will die down with the perpetrators ready to strike their second wave of attack.
The chance of the nation responding to the threat as one will remain an illusion.
THE POINTING OF FINGURES AND THE LOOMING THREATS
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- ► 2006 (401)
- LIFE EXPLAINED "When I stand before God at the en...
- BLOG DAY 2005 BASH Nir Ofir, an Israeli blogger ...
- TODAY'S PICKS * Increase your IQ by blogging * ...
- TERRORISTS VS. NGOS What do the terrorists hate i...
- THE TERRORIST FRATERNITY More and more shocking d...
- THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM I have said it before tha...
- TODAY'S PICKS * The alleged mastermind of the 7/7...
- LEADERS ARE CREATED, NOT BORN The above is a tagl...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Detrerrent democracy * Banglades...
- WAR AGAINST JIHAD The Bangladesh government has ...
- BANGLADESH BLASTS AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE * an ope...
- THE POINTING OF FINGURES AND THE LOOMING THREATS ...
- LIVING WITH A DEADLY DISEASE "As a deadly virus i...
- BANGLADESH BOMB BLASTS -MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWER...
- BANGLADESH BOMB BLASTS 8/17 I was attending one s...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Why Iran must not be invaded. * ...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUP Bangladesh: - Tazzy wri...
- A LAW FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL- THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The latest carnival of the libera...
- BENGALI NICKNAME GENERATOR I have come across thi...
- THE WORLD ACCORDING TO THE PALACE MULLAHS The Det...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The ugly side of beauty. * Hiros...
- UNHEARD VOICES FROM THE DUNGEON Just when the wor...
- DEMOGRAPHICS OF THE MUSLIM WORLD A random comment...
- THE EVER POPULAR JATRA Jatra, the folk theatre/v...
- MARS WATER ICE This image, taken by the High Res...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Pakistan: a Geopolitical Crux * ...
- THE HUMAN COST OF ONE PENNY LESS 'Dateline NBC' i...
- SOUTH ASIAN BLOG ROUNDUPHere is today's round up o...
- A BLOG ABOUT DESIS Sepia Mutiny is a superb grou...
- PERILS OF OVERWORK Sometimes I feel like...
- EXPONENTIAL BLOG GROWTH David Sifry of Technocrat...
- SNIPPETS FROM MY LIFE Scene 1: Place: A dark cro...
- RIANNA UPDATE Hew..Ye.. dijjam...(Hello hello). T...
- ▼ August (34)
- ► 2004 (329)