The state of Bangladesh politics has degraded to the bottom pit. Political intolerance and illogical acrimony between two major parties have created much disturbance in the country. The rampant corruption of many leaders, MPs and ministers are changing the parity between the rich, middle class and poor and spreading corruption to all levels. The nexus between the police and the criminals under the umbrella of the corrupt leaders has deteriorated the law and order situation. I have written about it many times (1, 2, 3, 4). In my opinion we should vote for competent leaders in the coming election and not choose the same old corrupt faces irrespective of their party mandates.
And its time to do something about it. Naima, a Bangladeshi student living in NY has started something moving. The 'Change Bangladesh' initiative is being launched to brainstorm expatriate Bangladeshi advocacy in the 'clean-competent candidate for election' movement pioneered by Dr Yunus’s March 20 speech. The goal is to simply encourage effective leadership for Bangladesh. Among other things 'Change Bangladesh' is in the process of creating a 'how to' guide for voters and a tool using which all Bangladeshis connected to the web will be able to check up on certain aspects of a running candidate for national or local elections. This is modeled after project vote smart in the United States. They are working in a mentor capacity and idea exchange. They have no financial or any other input except logistics. The five components are :
1. Biographical information
2. Campaign finance
3. Issue positions
4. Voting records
5. Public statements
Seems like a very good idea. And I would request you to join this effort as the project will need a lot of support. Bangladeshis, please don't sit idle but act now to save your country.
Update: 'Change Bangladesh' now has a blog.
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CHANGE BANGLADESH The state of Bangladesh politic...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Every new-born child in German...
- TWO NATION THEORY AND THE NATIONAL ANTHEM I am su...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Saudi Arabia: the next nuclear do...
- SOCCER IS LIKE LOLLYPOP Even though soccer is ver...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh govt deported Ehsanul ...
- THE CHAT SHOW QUEEN OF PAKISTAN Who is (s)he? C...
- OSAMA'S WAR Mash has an excellent piece on how Os...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the 'Global V...
- BRITISH RAB UK government has set up an elite for...
- DETENTION OF A BANGLADESHI-AMERICAN On April 17th...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh lose Test but win admi...
- POLITICAL STAND-OFF BRINGS CHAOS & FEAR More dist...
- BANGLADESH'S SUBMARINE CABLE WOES After much cont...
- THE KOMINAS ON THE LOOSE What do terms like Musli...
- THE LUNGI REDISCOVERED Can you guess what happens...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The Kafka index. * The making of...
- CUSTOMIZED LAW Another worrying example of the Ba...
- BEING HALF AN HOUR LATE OFFICIALLY The Sri Lankan...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Porn star's offer to Bin Laden. ...
- BANGLADESH-AUSTRALIA 2ND TEST The first day was n...
- ENGLISH IN GERMANY Why do almost all Germans insi...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh boilover gives cricket...
- OF WHAT FAITH ARE YOU? I took the belief-o-matic ...
- BENGALI NEW YEAR (1413) GREETINGS Shuvo Nobobars...
- QUIET REVOLUTION The Kansat situation is going ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s quiet hero. * The S...
- WORLD CHAMP'S FIGHTBACK The Bangladesh-Australia ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * India: largest state passes law t...
- GO BANGLADESH GO! This is just awesome. Headlines...
- BUILDING IMAGE OF BANGLADESH This type of adver...
- THE POLITICS OF DEVELOPMENT "All progress occurs b...
- THE OTHER MIDDLE EAST From Michael J Totten's Mid...
- TODAY'S LINKS * War on terror — failure of clear-...
- ANOTHER KANSAT TRAGEDY Tasneem Khalil wrote an ...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "If you are doing a job that Am...
- PROMISES STUNTS There you go. As soon as you star...
- FIRE IN PARLIAMENT HOUSE What the hell?"Mysteriou...
- PONTING STANDS CORRECTED The captain of the Austr...
- FLOODS IN CENTRAL EUROPE Meissen city in Saxony ...
- BREAKING THE MISCONCEPTION ABOUT ISLAM I am delig...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Texting and Politics in the Phili...
- GOOGLE SEARCH TEXT OF THE DAY desi islamic sex bl...
- THE EFFECTIVE IMMIGRATION POLICY Being an immigra...
- PREVIEW OF THE BANGLADESH AUSTRALIA TEST SERIES B...
- REBIRTH OF A NATION: BANGLADESH The above is the ...
- BOOTY CALL With the advent of 3G technology in ce...
- DEVALUATION In economic terms "devaluation" is a ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * YouTube - the web at its best. *...
- DOCUMENTARY ON BLOG A new video 'Many to Many: Pu...
- SLAP THE BLOCK PROXY The creative minds of a few ...
- ▼ April (51)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)