April 15, 2006

ENGLISH IN GERMANY

Why do almost all Germans insist that they don't speak English when asked? The Germany Survival Bible claims that many Germans do know working English and are rather shy to claim it.

Well in a number of cases I have faced resistance in trying to converse in English with Germans. For an example, I had problems with my DSL connection and I had to call the expensive help desk call center. The attendant said that he doesn't speak English. I had difficulties in making him understand all the technical details with my stuttering German and that took an uncomfortably long time. Contrary to the Spiegel article, I think, he did not want to talk with me in English because he could realize that I know some German and a conversation could take place. Or probably he knew that little learning can be a dangerous thing. Enjoy the video!

0 comments:

Post a Comment