FLOODS IN CENTRAL EUROPE
Meissen city in Saxony (Photo: Wikipedia)
Experts are blaming it on the winter of heavy snowfall and a warm and rainy start to spring. Higher temperatures are thawing snow which still carpets in high mountains from where the rivers originate. After 2002 the Central European countries are facing floods this year from the swelled waters of the rivers Danube, Elbe and their tributaries. Seven people have died in the Czech Republic and two in Slovakia.
I was watching the TV coverage of the floods in the Saxony reason of Germany, close to the Czech border where the river Elbe is taking its toll. The assessments can only be done after the water recedes but experts say that damages can go more than €15 million in Saxony alone.
Coming from a land of the floods, these scenes do not surprise me. But I can see that the extent of damage is heavy as all modern infrastructures cost much. As one report showed one meat seller was devastated by the 2002 as his shop was damaged badly. He then started again with loans and state help and this time he lost it all again. He is not sure whether he could start again. The state governor said that the flood victims in Saxony can expect state aid if needed.
However there are much critique in an Spiegel Online report that the damages could have been avoided were it not for stubborn residents, greedy politicians and the short-sighted agriculture lobby.
It is ironical that whether it is a rich country or poor country, nobody can escape nature's devastation. You are helpless at some point irrespective of whatever your preparations are.
FLOODS IN CENTRAL EUROPE
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CHANGE BANGLADESH The state of Bangladesh politic...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Every new-born child in German...
- TWO NATION THEORY AND THE NATIONAL ANTHEM I am su...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Saudi Arabia: the next nuclear do...
- SOCCER IS LIKE LOLLYPOP Even though soccer is ver...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh govt deported Ehsanul ...
- THE CHAT SHOW QUEEN OF PAKISTAN Who is (s)he? C...
- OSAMA'S WAR Mash has an excellent piece on how Os...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the 'Global V...
- BRITISH RAB UK government has set up an elite for...
- DETENTION OF A BANGLADESHI-AMERICAN On April 17th...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh lose Test but win admi...
- POLITICAL STAND-OFF BRINGS CHAOS & FEAR More dist...
- BANGLADESH'S SUBMARINE CABLE WOES After much cont...
- THE KOMINAS ON THE LOOSE What do terms like Musli...
- THE LUNGI REDISCOVERED Can you guess what happens...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The Kafka index. * The making of...
- CUSTOMIZED LAW Another worrying example of the Ba...
- BEING HALF AN HOUR LATE OFFICIALLY The Sri Lankan...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Porn star's offer to Bin Laden. ...
- BANGLADESH-AUSTRALIA 2ND TEST The first day was n...
- ENGLISH IN GERMANY Why do almost all Germans insi...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh boilover gives cricket...
- OF WHAT FAITH ARE YOU? I took the belief-o-matic ...
- BENGALI NEW YEAR (1413) GREETINGS Shuvo Nobobars...
- QUIET REVOLUTION The Kansat situation is going ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s quiet hero. * The S...
- WORLD CHAMP'S FIGHTBACK The Bangladesh-Australia ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * India: largest state passes law t...
- GO BANGLADESH GO! This is just awesome. Headlines...
- BUILDING IMAGE OF BANGLADESH This type of adver...
- THE POLITICS OF DEVELOPMENT "All progress occurs b...
- THE OTHER MIDDLE EAST From Michael J Totten's Mid...
- TODAY'S LINKS * War on terror — failure of clear-...
- ANOTHER KANSAT TRAGEDY Tasneem Khalil wrote an ...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "If you are doing a job that Am...
- PROMISES STUNTS There you go. As soon as you star...
- FIRE IN PARLIAMENT HOUSE What the hell?"Mysteriou...
- PONTING STANDS CORRECTED The captain of the Austr...
- FLOODS IN CENTRAL EUROPE Meissen city in Saxony ...
- BREAKING THE MISCONCEPTION ABOUT ISLAM I am delig...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Texting and Politics in the Phili...
- GOOGLE SEARCH TEXT OF THE DAY desi islamic sex bl...
- THE EFFECTIVE IMMIGRATION POLICY Being an immigra...
- PREVIEW OF THE BANGLADESH AUSTRALIA TEST SERIES B...
- REBIRTH OF A NATION: BANGLADESH The above is the ...
- BOOTY CALL With the advent of 3G technology in ce...
- DEVALUATION In economic terms "devaluation" is a ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * YouTube - the web at its best. *...
- DOCUMENTARY ON BLOG A new video 'Many to Many: Pu...
- SLAP THE BLOCK PROXY The creative minds of a few ...
- ▼ April (51)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)