THE KOMINAS ON THE LOOSE
What do terms like Muslim punk, Halal rock, and songs titles like "Dishoom, Baby" or "Sharia Law in the USA" have in common? Yes, these are products of the band the Kominas (the bastards), one of the handful of desi punkers that exist in America. (Via Sepia Mutiny)
The band has it’s roots in the 'Taqwacores', a novel about a group of Muslim punk rockers who smoked dope, read scripture, slam-danced, prayed, had sex, and embodied the tolerance and compassion that Islam encouraged. Quite interesting but they can be termed as oxymorons by the Islamists.
THE KOMINAS ON THE LOOSE
- Awami League
- Breaking News
- citizen journalism
- Global Voices
- Global Warming
- Guest Post
- Human Rights
- international relations
- Khaleda Zia
- Liberation war
- Natural Disaster
- New Media
- Press freedom
- Sheikh Hasina
- Social media
- web 2.0
- world cup
My other selves:
From My Flickr
- ► 2013 (32)
- ► 2012 (61)
- ► 2011 (105)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (212)
- ► 2008 (379)
- ► 2007 (470)
- CHANGE BANGLADESH The state of Bangladesh politic...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "Every new-born child in German...
- TWO NATION THEORY AND THE NATIONAL ANTHEM I am su...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Saudi Arabia: the next nuclear do...
- SOCCER IS LIKE LOLLYPOP Even though soccer is ver...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh govt deported Ehsanul ...
- THE CHAT SHOW QUEEN OF PAKISTAN Who is (s)he? C...
- OSAMA'S WAR Mash has an excellent piece on how Os...
- BANGLADESH BLOG BUZZ (Crossposted in the 'Global V...
- BRITISH RAB UK government has set up an elite for...
- DETENTION OF A BANGLADESHI-AMERICAN On April 17th...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh lose Test but win admi...
- POLITICAL STAND-OFF BRINGS CHAOS & FEAR More dist...
- BANGLADESH'S SUBMARINE CABLE WOES After much cont...
- THE KOMINAS ON THE LOOSE What do terms like Musli...
- THE LUNGI REDISCOVERED Can you guess what happens...
- TODAY'S LINKS * The Kafka index. * The making of...
- CUSTOMIZED LAW Another worrying example of the Ba...
- BEING HALF AN HOUR LATE OFFICIALLY The Sri Lankan...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Porn star's offer to Bin Laden. ...
- BANGLADESH-AUSTRALIA 2ND TEST The first day was n...
- ENGLISH IN GERMANY Why do almost all Germans insi...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh boilover gives cricket...
- OF WHAT FAITH ARE YOU? I took the belief-o-matic ...
- BENGALI NEW YEAR (1413) GREETINGS Shuvo Nobobars...
- QUIET REVOLUTION The Kansat situation is going ou...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Bangladesh’s quiet hero. * The S...
- WORLD CHAMP'S FIGHTBACK The Bangladesh-Australia ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * India: largest state passes law t...
- GO BANGLADESH GO! This is just awesome. Headlines...
- BUILDING IMAGE OF BANGLADESH This type of adver...
- THE POLITICS OF DEVELOPMENT "All progress occurs b...
- THE OTHER MIDDLE EAST From Michael J Totten's Mid...
- TODAY'S LINKS * War on terror — failure of clear-...
- ANOTHER KANSAT TRAGEDY Tasneem Khalil wrote an ...
- QUOTE OF THE DAY "If you are doing a job that Am...
- PROMISES STUNTS There you go. As soon as you star...
- FIRE IN PARLIAMENT HOUSE What the hell?"Mysteriou...
- PONTING STANDS CORRECTED The captain of the Austr...
- FLOODS IN CENTRAL EUROPE Meissen city in Saxony ...
- BREAKING THE MISCONCEPTION ABOUT ISLAM I am delig...
- TODAY'S LINKS * Texting and Politics in the Phili...
- GOOGLE SEARCH TEXT OF THE DAY desi islamic sex bl...
- THE EFFECTIVE IMMIGRATION POLICY Being an immigra...
- PREVIEW OF THE BANGLADESH AUSTRALIA TEST SERIES B...
- REBIRTH OF A NATION: BANGLADESH The above is the ...
- BOOTY CALL With the advent of 3G technology in ce...
- DEVALUATION In economic terms "devaluation" is a ...
- TODAY'S LINKS * YouTube - the web at its best. *...
- DOCUMENTARY ON BLOG A new video 'Many to Many: Pu...
- SLAP THE BLOCK PROXY The creative minds of a few ...
- ▼ April (51)
- ► 2005 (373)
- ► 2004 (329)